Coral Colouration under Illumina SR260

Reaction score
Well, I have a new camera and had to share a shot of my tank. This first one is a partial front shot. The Monti upper right has a shocking history. Below I have posted a before Illumina and after Illumina fotos. The developement of the coral is amazing.

The sorry-looking Acro in the middle was harvested for frags and passed on to me. The new growth is pink with blue polyps, which you can just make out in the foto.

52634f478b7459438.jpg

Montipora cassituberculata after about 1 year under the Illumina SR260. The colour is gorgeous.

52634f478b7452af1.jpg

Before, when kept under halide/T5s. It never developed good colour.

52634f478b744c14a.jpg

Enjoy,

Jamie

Wow, what a difference! More more more more!

attachment.php

OK, here is a small goniopora I started from 4 polyps. Who says you can't get red with LEDs! And it's redder than the pic with blue eyes. Growing somewhat shaded, as it doesn't like too much light.

Jamie

can you give us a FTS please.

Corals looks amaizing under those lights!! :thumbup:

more pics please :)

FTS

Crispin,

this is the best FTS I could get. The tank is on the floor and the front looks over the stair well, making the shot slightly under the horizon. I'm gonna try some things to get better shots, but this will help a bit with understanding the placement. Note the Acros lower left. Both are extremely happy campers. Also, the M. delicatula next to them, it is in the shade of the M. monastrea(?) above it.

52634f48b6bc9e20f.jpg

OK, this FTS is a bit better, but it's a steep learning curve. Especially hanging over the stair railing.

What I would like to point out on this shot is:
the Montipora in the middle and in the top right are the same clone and actually the same colour. The one in the middle sits under the new Violet-UV module and you can just see the light change in tone from the violet. The violet is subtle, but, thsi part of the spectrum, bewtween 390nm-420nm, is responsible for pigment development and will widen the ability of corals to create certain reds, as well as other tones of blues to green. Considering how long it took for my brown monti to become totaly blue (about 6 months), we shouldn't expect overnight changes.

52634f4b6f8e898f8.jpg

Aslo, in the lower left you will see two Acroporas, A. awii to the front and A. insignis(?) to the rear. These are in one of the lowest light areas and are doing wonderfully. As they are near the glass, part of the light they receive is reflected, but upon close examination, the glass side is a bit darker.

I nedd to remove some of those anemonies!

Jamie

I have a frag of blue Monti Cas as well. It is brown but was blue when it came in from indo. Glad to see it will color up under the illumina. It really is beautiful when fully colored. I've seen very few like it... Even in the states. Great tank and a great light! Already planning my upgrade from my small Illumina :thumbup:

Here are a few more shots. This is Favia speciosa, which I've had for a few days. We'll see how it developes.

52634f4ba7ce399fe.jpg

This P. pistillata was a nub about a year ago (or less). I'm gonna frag it, as it is out of hand. This foto shows the traces of colour we get from violet-uv with red modules.

52634f4ba7ce330ee.jpg

I thought this was a Favites, but, it is apparently a Goniastrea. Yes, it is that intense, fluorescent green, although the body is actually a touch browner and the green a touch more yellow. I couldn't get a satisfactory colour mix. It was either too red or too blue. Still, in real life, it s a standout.

52634f4ba7ce2c75d.jpg

Geez great stuff...A quick question...Does the unit only have blue,white and uv leds or other colors aswell..And if so what is the ratio...Freakn awsum ur tank....:thumbup:

Geez great stuff...A quick question...Does the unit only have blue,white and uv leds or other colors aswell..And if so what is the ratio...Freakn awsum ur tank....:thumbup:

Thanks for the freakn' kind words.......;)

The Illumina has Blue, Royal Blue and Coolwhite as the basics. Fully adjustable. You can add Violet-UV and Red as auxilliary pads. Also, one can add extra Royal Blue. All of this without removing any of the basic arrangement, as the auxilliary pads just slip between.

Up until about 12 weeks ago, my tank had only the basic 3, then I added one red for testing and now one Violet-UV, so the corals actually developed under the basic arrangement. They are only getting better.

Jamie

Back
Top Bottom