Bumble bee shrimp on the attack!!??

Reaction score
Hey guys I noticed last night my bumble bee shrimp is grabbing at a clam and it slams closed, is it trying to chow down? has anyone had this happen before?:(

I caught the little bugger off the clam, yesterday morning, and then bam... another bumble bee shrimp was having a go so caught him out too!!!
Guys don't keep these little suckers with clams!!!!

That's odd, they are known to be reef safe. Is your clam 100% healthy? Shrimps are opportunistic feeders and if they sense a fish/organism is not healthy they will attempt to kill/eat it.

Never heard of that Brent. Weren't the shrimps trying to eat algae growing on the clam? My hermits sometimes climb on my clams - but, they mostly only eat the algae growing there. Not the actual clam mantle....

Here you go, LuckyFish:
Bumble Bee Shrimp – Gnathophyllum americanum

bumble%20bee%20shrimp.jpg

Some URL:
Saltwater Aquarium Invertebrates for Marine Aquariums: Bumble Bee Shrimp

Look carefully under the mantel. sometimes pray items hide there and that might be what they went for. I have seen them sometimes taking other (than starfish) livefood items.

That's odd, they are known to be reef safe. Is your clam 100% healthy? Shrimps are opportunistic feeders and if they sense a fish/organism is not healthy they will attempt to kill/eat it.
Viper, Yeah clam is 100%, we caught about 8 of these guys and put them in my tank and 2 friends, I have subsequently phoned them both and they also have the same problem... only nibbeling at the mantle. I first thought it was taking a bit of food or algea, but deffinately the mantle in all 3 tanks!!!! ...and they are different species of clam too!

Maybe because they are local shrimps they're taking advantage of the delicious international cuisine :p

:razz:......you might be right!!!:whistling: do any of you have them living with clams no problem?

@brentv did you ever sort out this issue? Seems I am having the same problem with my clam and my bumble bee shrimp. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Bumblebee shrimp (Scientific name: Gnathophyllum americanum) are part of the same family as the harlequin shrimp family. They eat the tube feet of echinoderms. Such as urichins, sea cucumbers, sand dollars. Hey do best with urchiins in my .They don't eat algae at all. If echinoderms are not present they will take mysis and small bits of food. Once in a while you'll a individual that takes action and swims for food but not the norm. Mine feedingbon this common rock starsnin pools and eat same food of the rest of fish. They fat and healty6 inmy tank.

i have kept them all my life and have 5 or 6 at the moment i dont keep clams because of that , they WILL pick off the clam's mantle @Kunhardt : Mark H lost his clam eventually and his bee also used to snack on it

Last edited by a moderator:
i have kept them all my life and have 5 or 6 at the moment i dont keep clams because of that , they WILL pick off the clam's mantle @Kunhardt : Mark H lost his clam eventually and his bee also used to snack on it

Mark take the bumblebee shrimp out it's the only way to stop it... IMO hot pan with garlic butter...:thumbup:

sad news...so I have to decide between clams and shrimps...tough call really is... :(

Shrimp cocktail or clam chowder?:whistling:

Its probably going to be the clam to go...I really want an invert dominated tank...and if I get rid of the bumble bee and keep the clam it will just be some other shrimp or crab in the future... :(

Back
Top Bottom