also where to purchase please
Much appreciated

I got a new salt at the expo from a non sponsor and its good so far or seachem

It was about R250 for 10kg, maybe 260 odd liters

Thanks Dallas.
Will look into it and compare.
You allowed mentioning the brand?

Aquafin

Thanks Riaan, I dont want to rock the boat here and dont mean any harm to anybody using this brand of salt, but it seems 20kg will only make 440L?

i will confirm that, but using it on a nano and working great, with a FOWLR you can make it 1022-1024 and be ok

will post details here soon

I did a comparison, because the salt that I used didnt give me the best results as advertised.
I am using RedSea coral pro salt...

Comparison.jpg

here is a reply i got
any Q's please ask

For starters I would like you to us the following info as this needs to come out.

Salt is Salt it is a mineral. If you take a brand of reef salt for comparison to another brand of Reef salt you will find that they will mix up to strength of within 5% of each other. The 5% is best understood as the difference in moisture content in each brand.
You will find some brands stating that a bucket of lets say 20kg will make 600 liter of Sea water. What they don’t specify is the final specific gravity of the mix at a certain temperature. You will find that if you mix up any a good reef salt with less than 5% moisture content you will get roughly 220 – 230 liters full strength sea water which is at 1.024 to 1,026sg at 25 deg c.

This is fact !!!!
Aquafin reef Salt is a natural sea salt sourced from a deposit that is millions of years old. Therefore it is totally unpolluted by modern day fossil fuels and the like.
The reef salt has all the elements in there correct concentrations including rare trace elements. The product is enhanced to provide a magnesium level of 1350ppm and a calcium concentration of 450ppm. Ph is 8,2 at full strength and kh is buffed to 8,5dkh.
Aquafin reef salt has been in use for more than 5 years in more than 30 reef tanks. Successful marine fish breeding and sps frag grow out systems have been achieved with this brand.

Hi Guys

I have been using AquaFin salt for a while now and my tank is looking good, all the fish are healthy. And Corals are looking good.
I had 2 tanks but when I used to mixed salt for the smaller tank I would take 1.1 kg of salt to 25 litres of water and 1.025 every time
You would pay just under R300 for a 10kg bucket

Last edited:
Hi guys. Im currently using Aquafin salt in a mixed reef and works great. corals and fish are all healthy. Bang for buck this a great salt. My clowns started spawning when i changed over to this salt. Very happy with the salt.

Back
Top Bottom