Another Seahorse Birth Thread

Discussion in 'Breeding fish' started by Anemone, 12 May 2010.

1. Anemone

Anemone

Apparently the female seahorse is not sticking to one partner! :whistling: I have just found two warning babies from another fat male.

I've moved the male to a kreisel tank that I placed inside the DT and clipped onto the side. He's a little unhappy, but hopefully he will release the rest of the fry soon and will be able to be free from the kreisel.

I haven't been able to get a good look at the two fry. They are in the kreisel with the male at the moment. However, at first glance they look to be a little under developed.

Of course, my batteries in my camera are dead!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

LOL the lil **** :lol::lol:kidding

Wow Brenda more babies on the way:slayer::slayer:

Yes we've heard the batteries are flat story before:razz:

Good Luck:thumbup:

4. Anemone

Anemone Thread Starter

Thank you Michael!

I'm sneaking out tonight after grandma goes to sleep to get batteries, and another tank! It's sad to say that at my age I have to sneak out of the house. It's not nearly as much fun as it was when I was a teenager!

5. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

:nono::nono:Nawty nawty little Brenda, Granny is going to catch you:razz: LOL

6. Anemone

Anemone Thread Starter

Maybe I'll get lucky and she'll kick me out so that I can have my life back! :lol:

7. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

I don't your granny would do that because then she'll be lonely & nobody to talk to. Oh yes & no ponies to look at, I think she hasn't kicked you out because of your ponies:razz: or maybe kick you out & keep the ponies for herself. sorry that was a bit nasty ooops

8. Anemone

Anemone Thread Starter

She's kicked me out a few times when I didn't let her do something dangerous. If she found out I am setting up another tank she would kick me out again. However, she'll forget by breakfast, thats the beauty of dementia. Luckily the tanks are in the basement and she can't do the stairs! :thumbup:

9. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hey hey another batch on the way .... You need to get the ponies a TV:razz: Then they will have something else to do!Just out of curiosity how many more males are with this naughty female? And can you keep more than 1 female in a tank with lots of males?

10. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

dementia=memory illness? :lol:Dangerous? like what? Running down the street chasing young boys with her brooks hanging on her ankles? kidding. Does she want to go sky diving?

11. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

It looks like that's the case 1 female & two male ponies, LOL:lol: I wonder if the new daddy & mom sneaked around the corner to do the deed?:nono:

12. Anemone

Anemone Thread Starter

She had 6 males to pick from, now five. One died on Sunday. He was the daddy to the 29 babies that I have. You can keep more than one female together. These were purchased as juveniles so we didn’t know the sex when we purchased them. We had hoped for more females.

Like trying to wheel her wheel chair down a flight of stairs, trying to get outside to get the mail while I’m in the shower, grabbing a hold of my stick shift in my brand new car and yanking it while I’m driving asking “what is this?”

Hmm, sky diving....what a great idea….I’ll ask her the next time she cleans out my wallet! :lol:

13. smitchell

smitchell

It's a good thing you have all the free time on your hands...lol As usual your seahorse partner is working at the firehouse,,,,,, sorry Brenda will come up as soon as i am off tomorrow bringing more water and supplies... Great job SEAHORSE MOMMA !!:thumbup:

14. Anemone

Anemone Thread Starter

Thanks Mitchell! I'll definately be needing more SW soon!

15. FransSny

FransSny

Wow Brenda, congrats again ! I've also read studies seriously questioning the monogamy of ponies

16. Anemone

Anemone Thread Starter

Thank you everyone!

Frans, I think monogamy among seahorses happens a lot in the wild, but there may be a good reason for it, such as not a whole lot of other males available, and possibly the female chosing the strongest to take her eggs.

Since her previous mate only died a few days ago, she obviously had the other male pregnant before his death. Since he was not doing well, it may have been the reason she went to another male to take the eggs.

We are up to 6 babies and he's still really fat! Mama seahorse keeps looking into the kreisel wondering what the heck happend to her mate.

I'm kind of hoping he holds off a few more days before the big release. I'm not impressed with the fry. Hard to tell but it sort of looks like their snouts are too stubby.

17. FransSny

FransSny

Interesting theory Brenda, makes sense

18. Boegie

Boegie

Another great thread to follow, thanks.

19. hypn

hypn

Congrats Brenda, this is soooooo exciting.

Regarding the monogamy of sea-horses, they are definitely inclined to monogamous behaviour in the ocean.

A few years back (my first sea-horse tank), I purchased a wild caught sea horse (pregnant male) from a well known dealer. Added only the one sea-horse and noticed that he was incredibly removed.

I went back to the shop, bought the female he was spending time with in the pet-shop tank and when I floated the package he went crazy. It looked like a reunion of two lovers separated.

As stupid as this sounds, these two stayed true to the known sea-horse behaviour, at night they stayed together at the back of the tank, in the day the male would be the one who wondered away from the "homestead".

They delivered several successful but small families, never giving birth to more than three ponies at a time. I was very young and knew very little about sea-horses and most of my knowledge was obtained from a documentary by a Amanda ...?...

I think they might have been tiger tail sea-horses and if I have to think back on the size they would have been a older couple. They occupied the tank on their own untill they eventually passed away.

If anything my love affair for sea-horses had been firmly grounded by the incredible interaction of the pair.

Possibly tank bred seahorses do not have to adhere to behaviour patterns of this nature in order to ensure their survival and might therefore not consider this the norm. I have to mail the Sea-horse farm tonight and will ask them what they have noticed.

Good luck Brenda ;-)

20. Anemone

Anemone Thread Starter

How big were these seahorses hypn? Wow, only 3 babies at a time!

Daddy seahorse made it through the night without delivering any more babies. He's very active this morning. I'm not sure if the increased activity is because he is getting ready to pop or if he just wants out of the kreisel.

21. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

LOL Brenda as long as you guys don't tandem jump & you smile as you pull the wrong cord releasing granny with no chute.:nono:

Recent Posts