Another cracked Chinese Tank

Sorry to hear about it bud.......:(

please tell us where these tanks are prone to crack and what may cause or attribute to the cracking...age perhaps? I have a boyu with stand. the stand is made from chipboard and is prone to swell when water gets in the edges...could this cause uneveness in the surface thereby causing pressure on the bottom of glass?....worried now:eek:

please tell us where these tanks are prone to crack and what may cause or attribute to the cracking...age perhaps? I have a boyu with stand. the stand is made from chipboard and is prone to swell when water gets in the edges...could this cause uneveness in the surface thereby causing pressure on the bottom of glass?....worried now:eek:

I don't think there is a problem with the boyu's. Do you have a tl550 or tl450. Because if I remember correctly they are plastic and not glass. I could be wrong though.

I don't think there is a problem with the boyu's. Do you have a tl550 or tl450. Because if I remember correctly they are plastic and not glass. I could be wrong though.
Hmm.. nah, I had a boyu at a customers place it cracked within 6 month on the sides.
It's glass bro....

as mentioned somewhere else

for those concerned about curved tanks and the tendency to break, the nano are not that at fault. Its more the bigger tanks, 3foot and up that is prone to breakage. And not all the makes either. It depends on the process used and how long they took to bend the glass. Too quick, and the glass stretch and is in fact thinner at the corners.

In my opinion, another problem with these cubes are the closed lids. They cause the tank to run at higher temperatures than is acceptable and they limit the light options. A lot of guys do change it. These tanks are not really designed for our sunny South Africa.

The tanks tend to crack on the corner, sometimes not even running all the way to the top or bottom. What can you do to prevent it. First ensure that the tank is level. And that the wooden base is not swollen over time and warping.

Also do not put the tank in a draft. Where cold or hot air blow past. Especially where the temperature can quickly change due to you opening up some doors to allow wind to blow through.
(About 2 years ago one guy on MASA had a tank that cracked. And it was empty, in Natal Midlands somewhere in winter time. Can not remember who)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom