NickW's 500l Bio Pellet Reef (SPS)

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Have some time so thought i might aswell start a thread on the new tank :)

I want to try and achieve a mainly sps dominated system, will see how things work out.

Here is some information:

Tank Information:

• 140x60x65(h) - water height at 60
  • 10mm Glass
  • DT Volume: 504l
  • Sump Volume: +- 160l
  • Total Volume: 660l
  • Black Silicone
  • Stand 1m High
Sump:

• 1st Chamber: Inlet Pipe, Skimmer
  • 2nd Chamber: Bio Pellet Reactor
  • 3rd Chamber: Phosphate Reactor, return pump
  • 4th Chamber: ATO
Filtration:

• Reactor: Reef Octo BR110 - Will run 500ml Bio Pellets
  • Skimmer: Reef Octo NW250 (2 x OTP 3000 pumps)
  • Live Rock
  • Reef Octo PHR 100 - Not sure what to run inside.
Lighting:

• 2 x 250W MH
  • 4 x 64W PL Actinic Tubes
  • LED Moonlights
Sand in DT is FijiPink aragonite

Return Pump is rated for 3000lph

Well here are some pics:

Tank in comparison to the nano (TL550)

59824fdee592d9256.jpg

Sump (in the early stages): Still very unorganised, must still finnish of the plumbing and electrical work (DB Board)

59824fdee67a40ce5.jpg

Here are some other general pics of the sump, most of it is done just some finnishing touches.

59824fdee6d97724b.jpg

59824fdee7052592a.jpg

59824fdee7231136b.jpg

As you can see above how i have plumbed the outlet of the pellet reactor? any comments?

Well thats all for now guys :)

Please post comments.

(Thanks to all the guys who helped out in planning this, much appreciated - @mariusmeyer, @Manic)

Thanks,
Nick :)

Last edited:
Filtration:

• Reactor: Reef Octo BR110 - Will run 500ml Bio Pellets (for SPS you will prob need more than that)
  • Skimmer: Reef Octo NW250 (2 x OTP 3000 pumps)
  • Live Rock
  • Reef Octo PHR 100 - Not sure what to run inside. (dont put anything in there if you running Bio Pellets than you wont need anything, if anything you can run Carbon in there if you wish)
Answers in red

Good to see you got your new tank, looks like this is going to be a really nice one.:)

Nice looking tank. So when is it getting wet? looking forward

Thanks man, still have to do the electrical stuff and hang the lights, after that once i have purcahsed the LR, so hopefully not long.

Good to see you got your new tank, looks like this is going to be a really nice one.
Thanks Mc, hope so :) lets see if things go according to plan.

I would say start off with a lesser amount of pellets and gradually increase as the bioload and SPS stock levels increase. You will have to make tweaks as you go along. Each tank is different and there are no way to determine what amount you need exactly. Only time and your tank will tell.

How much would you suggest? 700mls?
I would start with 100ml/100L then add as you need
I am sorry but I came accross wrong what I ment was that you will PROB need more than that in the end for SPS but it does all depend
For example I have 450L system and I am using 700ml pellets, my tank is mainly softies with a Monti being my only SPS BUT I do have a heavy hand when it comes to feeding
Anyway the moral of the story was dont set your heart on 500ml as it is more than likely going to change and I would prepare myself for more than that if you plan to keep SPS

I would say start off with a lesser amount of pellets and gradually increase as the bioload and SPS stock levels increase.
What would you reccomend starting with? I suppose not the full 500mls?

So if i see N and P rising at a later stage just add a little more bit of pellets basically?

These are the pellets i will be using:

59824fdef39b0f9b5.jpg

When you start off the tank I would add a 100ml. Then every week during the cycle add another 50ml. That should put you on about 400ml by the time the cycle is completed (if you go for a traditional 6 weeks cycle). From there you just check your parameters and as it starts to increase then just add some more. Maybe add 100ml and wait 2 weeks and test again. But you will have to give it some time between tests so that the newly added pellets get some time to work.

looking good man. You should put a filter sock on the inlet to the sump otherwise you are going to have quite a lot of kak in that chamber. Later on you could add a cheap pump to blast the bottom of the sump to keep it clean

Hey buddy

Very nice man.
Everything i would have said all the reef members have already comented on.

On NP Pellets i cant give you lots of info cos i still have to try it.
Heard it works great. Good to do it from the start of your system.

Changing over from DSB to NP apparently has to be done right.
According to my knowledge you must also start with 50-100ml.
Probably depends on the size system.

Good choice of buying 500ml the first shot.
Cos you gona use it any how.
I only have 250ml will need more later.

I like the setup, looks realy nice.
SPS only. This is gona be a tank to keep an eye on i think.

Well done boet
Let me know when you ever in VDBP then we get together for a :peroni:and swop out some ideas.

Good Luck

Oh ja and the most important is. KEEP UPDATING!!!

Lighting:

• 2 x 250W MH
  • 4 x 64W PL Actinic Tubes
  • LED Moonlights
Stong lights here.
MH and T5`s, nice.

Ive had great success with MH also 2 x 250W (DE)

You should put a filter sock on the inlet to the sump

Yeah, been considering it, will have a look next time im at the LFS.

Lighting: 2 x 250W MH 4 x 64W PL Actinic Tubes LED Moonlights Stong lights here. MH and T5`s, nice.

The things SPS makes us do :whistling:

lovely looking tank and sump, i like the way you have plumbed the pellet outlet, nice work
Thanks, hope it will all work well when it gets filled.

Very nice work here! The tank should run nicely!!!
Thanks bretch, hope so to :)

Yeah, been considering it, will have a look next time im at the LFS.

The things SPS makes us do :whistling:

Thanks, hope it will all work well when it gets filled.

Thanks bretch, hope so to :)
haha, true true

When you start off the tank I would add a 100ml. Then every week during the cycle add another 50ml. That should put you on about 400ml by the time the cycle is completed (if you go for a traditional 6 weeks cycle). From there you just check your parameters and as it starts to increase then just add some more. Maybe add 100ml and wait 2 weeks and test again. But you will have to give it some time between tests so that the newly added pellets get some time to work.
Personally I have to disagree
The reason I am saying is that it does take a while for the pellets to start kicking in, so during the cycle I would say it at faster rate than that if yo do add it slowly then what you doing is slowing down your cycle.
I say this because the reason you have a cycle is for your filtration to establish, if your filtration is only finished being added by the time your cycle ends then you actually need to extend your cycle even more for the last bit of pellets to establish themselves.
So I would add them a bit faster and let them establish while your tank is cycling, you do run the risk of a bit cyano appearing your tank but hey the tank is cycling, put a blanket over it and forget about it

Back
Top Bottom