And so it begins

So I had my water tested today and according to the lfs I can add fish no nastys in my water.

Will start with 2 small clownfish.
Now how long should I wait to add corals?
Pics or it didn't happen :m38: :lol: :m38: :lol:

This is we're the real fun only start to happen. You planning on qt the fish first before adding to tank? I highly recommend you qt everything before you add to tank.

It's ALIVE

Meet Peppa and George (Named by the kids) hahahaha

What is the best way to feed/store frozen food?
I took a cube last night and cut is into small pieces thawing it is tank water and feeding to them like that freezing the rest is their a better way to do this. This way I'm going to overfeed without a doubt

Frozen food in a nano and you most likely will overfeed. Would rather look into flakes or pellets and give a bit of frozen as a treat once a week.

Hey bud,

No not dosing but did notice some of my rocks are disintegrating/crumbling away.
Could that be the cause?

Kh is a tad high. But it also depends on what corals you have. What you can do is raise nitrates to something between 5 and 10. Then you should be fine.

Hallo to all my fellow reefers,

So, I encountered a bit of a set back with my scape, one of my clownfish decided to get stuck between a rock and a hard place. In order to free the fish, I destroyed my scape. At this point I had to make the call to abandon the floating reef scape of try and salvage it.

I decided to salvage it in the end, so now the question was how to fix the scape and to prevent a fish from getting trapped again. I took all the rock off the acrylic and decided to cut a hole in the middle after that was done it was time to glue all the rock back in place.

I got some Pratley putty and used that to rebuild the rockwork. Never will I use Pratley putty anywhere in my tank again. The tank turned milky as you can’t believe, and I was convinced that the fish and snails in my tank was going to die. The fish were just lying on the substrate with heavy breathing the snails kept climbing up the glass and making insane amounts of slime. I was sure I destroyed my tank.

To rectify this I did multiple water change in the morning and in the afternoon I dosed live bacteria and I ran my air pump just to get extra oxygen in the water(Don’t think this did anything but I had ti try anything at this stage). After all of this I still was not convinced that I had done enough, the water stayed milky, skimmer was going mad, fish were losing colour and not moving, I was ready to give up.

Got home yesterday after work to my surprise the water was crystal clear the fish and snails are looking really good, the one clownfish still seems to have taken a beating during this ordeal but they are eating colour is returning and I’m convinced that everything is going to be OK. I need to finish my scape but will go and get some reef safe cement or epoxy and I will post pics once I'm done and satisfied

Sorry for the long post

Thanks for reading

Have a good day

Wow, so sorry to hear this Pieter! You did the right thing to do multiple water changes. Carbon would have been a great option to run too, as it binds most organic and inorganics that the epoxy might release.

It's interesting as I have used to quickset version of Pratley's putty on maybe a dozen separate occasions with no ill effect on my nano and previous 4ft. I'll certainly not be using it in the future!

Hi @brentch thank you for the reply.
I will make a plan and get some carbon to add in any case thank you for the input.

That is the thing I read numerous posts of people using it without any side effects but for me it was my worst experience with a tank I've ever had

Back
Top Bottom