Zetlight LED club

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, just quick question. Would a ZA1201 be sufficient for a softy only tank (Waterbox 20 gal)? Or would a bigger light like a ZT6500 be better to use?
if you can add more light youd be better off, the ZA1201 is a very limited light and ZT6500 is discontunued, but a far better option than the ZA1201, you could also look at the UFO8300 if you are wanting to stick with zetlight. there are a number of other options out of the zetlight range that could also work well on that size.

anonymone

Shrimp
Reaction score
if you can add more light youd be better off, the ZA1201 is a very limited light and ZT6500 is discontunued, but a far better option than the ZA1201, you could also look at the UFO8300 if you are wanting to stick with zetlight. there are a number of other options out of the zetlight range that could also work well on that size.
Also depends a bit on the size of the tank...if you're talking 45cm cube ( roughly 24g) a 1201L would be just fine for softies and most lps

Harbinger2000

Hermit Crab
Reaction score
@leslie hempel, Thank you, I have a ZT6500 in storage that I got previously for a planned bigger build, but as can happen life got in the way. I was just a bit concerned it may have been overkill on the tank as the mounting arms barely fit the tank. Thank you again.

bruce87

Bristleworm
Reaction score
Hi guys

Anyone got some recommendations on the best settings for the ZS7300?

Really eager to see how far or close I am.
Hi, any luck yet on settings? i have the same light and using the standard settings, tank looks fine but its still new though

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
@leslie hempel, Thank you, I have a ZT6500 in storage that I got previously for a planned bigger build, but as can happen life got in the way. I was just a bit concerned it may have been overkill on the tank as the mounting arms barely fit the tank. Thank you again.
i deffinatley think its the better option, it will give you far greater scope IMO, i would use it over the ZA1202 anyday

traut

Bristleworm
Reaction score
@bruce87 no one seems to want to offer their recommended settings.
I'm still struggling on how high or how low to adjust the settings.

I'm no export but I would imagine it depends on the size of the tank, what stock is in tank and how high above the water the unit is.
My details are:
Size of tank: 110cm(L) x 80cm(W) x 60cm(H)
Stock: 7 fish, 2 Shrimp and a few mushrooms, hammer, frogspawn and zoas on the sand bed.
Height of unit: 15cm above surface

Lets hope someone can help.

bruce87

Bristleworm
Reaction score
@bruce87 no one seems to want to offer their recommended settings.
I'm still struggling on how high or how low to adjust the settings.

I'm no export but I would imagine it depends on the size of the tank, what stock is in tank and how high above the water the unit is.
My details are:
Size of tank: 110cm(L) x 80cm(W) x 60cm(H)
Stock: 7 fish, 2 Shrimp and a few mushrooms, hammer, frogspawn and zoas on the sand bed.
Height of unit: 15cm above surface

Lets hope someone can help.
Hi, yea it seems so, i sit with the same situation, im just using the normal light settings that came with the unit but i adjusted the times slightly, its only up and running for 2 weeks but all seems fine for now, lets home someone can give us some good settings who has experience with it.

wolfback

Copepod
Reaction score
Hi all looking at selling my zetlight zs7000 Light is in good working order ...... pm on 0720647661 .. no longer need the light as the big tank is sold .....

img_20180630_223433-jpg.jpg

Reaction score
I'm new to this posting
20181024_142959.jpg
20181024_142953.jpg

. I have recently purchased 2 x ZS7300 for my 1.2m tank. Does anyone have the correct settings for coral growth? I have both SPS and LPS.
I need the time frames as well as the intensity. At the moment is a guess.

20181024_142944.jpg

TheWaterboy

Foxface
Reaction score
I'm new to this posting
20181024_142959.jpg
20181024_142953.jpg

. I have recently purchased 2 x ZS7300 for my 1.2m tank. Does anyone have the correct settings for coral growth? I have both SPS and LPS.
I need the time frames as well as the intensity. At the moment is a guess.

20181024_142944.jpg
but i installed the correct settings, why are you wanting to change them........you have them hung up way to high to have any intensity to the bottom 30 cm from water level is what i recommended, that look slike 50 cm to me

Reaction score
Thanks Marco
I'm using your settings, but since ive put the ZETs in opposed to my T5s my corals are not happy. I had 3 banks of T5 x 4 tubes each. Alot of light, now with ZETs it looks different. Awesome I might say best coloring I have ever seen. But it seems Corals don't wake up until mid day then by the time they do the lights Dim again. Hens why I'm trying to ask Community to get an overall view. Some one might have other Ideas.
As for the distance from water they are 38cm to be precise. Do you recommend I drop them more?

EFJ

Reaction score
It can be your corals are adapting to the new lights. It will happen with any setup, If you change from T5 to Led or MH or vise versa it will happen. Just give it some time.

RiaanP

Reaction score
As for the distance from water they are 38cm to be precise. Do you recommend I drop them more?
Yeah, Radion for example recommend 22 to 27 cm. I would definitely drop them lower.

Light is "funny". You loose a lot of punch over a short distance, a lot more than human eyes could perceive as different. T5 unit used to be installed very very close to the water. LED is installed more or less the same way as MH units due to the risks of water splashes mostly.

TheWaterboy

Foxface
Reaction score
Yeah, Radion for example recommend 22 to 27 cm. I would definitely drop them lower.

Light is "funny". You loose a lot of punch over a short distance, a lot more than human eyes could perceive as different. T5 unit used to be installed very very close to the water. LED is installed more or less the same way as MH units due to the risks of water splashes mostly.
100%

drop em to 20 to 25 as your tank is also large but you dont want to get salt creep on the lights

badboygp

Hermit Crab
Reaction score
Howsit peeps.

I'm looking for a controller for the zt4000.
I200 controller..

I have the reciever already.

Charlie Brown

Hermit Crab
Reaction score
I don't know how you guys manage to keep your Zetlight's going, I've had nothing but grief with mine, particularly the UFO light that I have on my Redsea Max130. The light only seems to last about 6 - 8 months and then it just goes haywire. This has been on 2 successive units. I've now gone back to T5's until I can find a more reliable LED unit, but not interested in the Zet light at all.

On my other tank I have the Zetlight 6600 and this keeps going through fans. I've replaced both fans twice in 3 years....................I guess you get what you pay for.

Busy looking at other makes of lights now or I might just go back to T5's. I bought into the LED system as I was spending a lot of money on T5 tubes and I thought I would save quite a bit of money changing to LED. In 3 years I have spent close on R20k on LED lighting for my small 220lt tank and my little Redsea 130lt tank. If I had kept to T5's, I would only have spent +/-R10k on tubes and still have a working light unit.

IMHO the only benefit of LED is that you can change the look of your tank without buying tubes, your tank runs a bit cooler, but nothing that a small fan or chiller units can't sort out. A decent LED unit price is quite scary and I can buy a lot of T5 tubes for the price of a decent LED light.

TheWaterboy

Foxface
Reaction score
I don't know how you guys manage to keep your Zetlight's going, I've had nothing but grief with mine, particularly the UFO light that I have on my Redsea Max130. The light only seems to last about 6 - 8 months and then it just goes haywire. This has been on 2 successive units. I've now gone back to T5's until I can find a more reliable LED unit, but not interested in the Zet light at all.

On my other tank I have the Zetlight 6600 and this keeps going through fans. I've replaced both fans twice in 3 years....................I guess you get what you pay for.

Busy looking at other makes of lights now or I might just go back to T5's. I bought into the LED system as I was spending a lot of money on T5 tubes and I thought I would save quite a bit of money changing to LED. In 3 years I have spent close on R20k on LED lighting for my small 220lt tank and my little Redsea 130lt tank. If I had kept to T5's, I would only have spent +/-R10k on tubes and still have a working light unit.

IMHO the only benefit of LED is that you can change the look of your tank without buying tubes, your tank runs a bit cooler, but nothing that a small fan or chiller units can't sort out. A decent LED unit price is quite scary and I can buy a lot of T5 tubes for the price of a decent LED light.
Ive had a zs7300 fall into the water. And its still running,
Ufo are known to be problatic with the fan so maybe in the enclosed red sea enviroment its not viable. Other than that i cant see why one would move away from zetlight

Charlie Brown

Hermit Crab
Reaction score
Ive had a zs7300 fall into the water. And its still running,
Ufo are known to be problatic with the fan so maybe in the enclosed red sea enviroment its not viable. Other than that i cant see why one would move away from zetlight
The UFO unit is not in an enclosed unit, my Redsea 130 is open top. I can understand the fans on my 6600 not lasting forever, the lights get hot and the fans run for most of the day. I guess all LED'S have the same issue with fans.

If the UFO is a PITA unit, which one would you recommend for the Redsea Max130 ( open top ), mixed reef and mainly used for fragging? I have put QUAD 4x24 watt unit on in the meantime.