Who still has a pico running?

Discussion in 'Pico Tanks' started by Gerhard DP, 16 Dec 2012.

1. Gerhard DP

Gerhard DP

Hi

Was wondering who still had a pico running? They seem to disappear after a month or so.

Gerhard

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

My buddy @Chris Franky has a wonderful pico, just need to convince him to take some pics!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. Gerhard DP

Gerhard DP Thread Starter

I think I should invent an camera with an auto update function that must be sold with all tanks :)

5. Chris Franky

Chris Franky

Yup, we have a 45L cube including sump....it is our baby and actually prefer it to the 400L system we previously had. :)

ja this picture thing is a bit of a mission as we dont have a pc internet line thanks to cable thieves and Ipad cant upload photos. :( Ill make the effort in the holidays to get some photos up.

6. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Im starting up a pico in february...
    Will be completing the build in a couple weeks time...

7. Gerhard DP

@Visser you going DIY on everything?

8. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Lol, jip, the challenge is in the diy...
    Why do you want to know who still has pico's if i may ask?
    From my experience, pico & nano tanks are the most "economical" for the amount of enjoyment i get from it...
    I absolutely love my nano tanks & thats after i previously had a 1200l & 250l...
    Now ive got a 120l display tank & 70l refugium/frag/coral quarantine tank & i will never again go bigger! My maintenance is really really simple. 25% weekly waterchange on both tanks, fill ATO, test & dose weekly for alk, calcium, magn, strontium. Bimonthly i check up ALL my other perameters!

My biggest success with my tanks i must say is having totally oversized skimmers & keeping pristene water quality!

9. Gerhard DP

Just wondering as you see them come and dissapear without a word.
    Its also nice learning from others.

I am ordering some LED's for my second pico, what are you going to use for yours?

10. ChrisRaubs

ChrisRaubs

Hey @Chris Franky ,,,

You can actually upload pics with the IPad, but it's a bit off a work around... You've gotta get Pohtobucket from the istore,,, register etc... Ones the app is up and running, you can upload photos that was taken with your ipad to your photobucket account... once it's in your photobucket account, and you go into a single pics (not where it shows all your photos in your account) you copy the image code, and then you go to MASA and where you type your post, you just post the image code. eviola...

I you'd like i can quickly slap together a PM with a few pics to show you what i mean...

Back to the thread topic... I'm actually thinking of staring up a 20l pico,,, got the tank and everything, but for now i'm getting my 300l setup so ill start with the pico later.

What are the ins and out's of these pico's? i believe their a pain to maintain in terms of water params, filtration etc...??

11. Gerhard DP

Chris I think they are only a problem if you neglect it as with any other tank.

I do my water change every week and that is it. I think my little tank is to clean actually. The zoas want a little more Nitrates :)
    An evaporation lid is also very useful with these.

12. STC-1000

STC-1000 In Reefers Rehab

In the beginning everyone avoided picos and nanos cause of the fact that runours were they dificult to keep stable compare to larger tanks, but things have changed drasrtically mostly in this year as nanos and picos are now more user friendly with the nano products and equip avail ....:thumbup:.... I've also noticed within this year,me being part of it is most guys with big systems downgraded to nanos, be it all in ones or cubes.... Only the newbies are going bigger in size ,yet to find out wat goes into having large systems and join us again in later stages .... I must add,IME large tanks maintanance may not be everyones cup of tea, so my advice to newbies starting out, stay with nanos!! ;).... We all make the full circle,startup small and end up (after many diferent sizes), small again :lol:

13. Chris Franky

Chris Franky

Ola,

K I have managed to do as "Told" for the photo. I only have this one on my pad for the moment. I will take some decent ones a bit later when i am home :)

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o523/Greekdog_franky/f095a2a1a0e1f72eafd9c57de664ca6a.jpg

I must agree, We started with a 400L system but prefer the Pico...

We have a 40cmx40cmx40cm DT with the water level at 35cm. I have a DIY 1ft Cheapy tank operating as a sump with some bio cubes, about 4kg live rock, air pump, JNS reactor with Phos and some carbon in a media bag. We have a 700L Return pump. Currently running a 150W MH but have just bought a LED light unit and will install it later today.

:)

14. Gerhard DP

Yes it is ugly, you should give ot to me to try and make it pretty :p

Just joking, it is a nice little tank you have. Thought of making a sump for mine.

Recent Posts