What's your nicest Hitch Hiker ever

Reaction score
Something that most of us had forgotten, is how intensely we studied our fist pieces of liverock we put in our tanks when we started. I suddenly realised it again when I saw how often we see guys enquiring about hitch hiker they found on their rocks.

This made me think about all the hitch hikers I got through the years. My first hitch hiker that I can remember and I think my most remebered one was a Bicolour blenny I saw in my tank in the 90's. He just pitched up one day out of nowhere.

I do have a very good idea as to how he ended up in my tank. I bought a very nice piece of liverock from a shop in Plumstead ( The shop is no longer in existance, but the older reefers should know which shop I am talking about.)

After about a week I noticed this very, very strange fellow looking at us from inside a piece of rock. He was really intrigued by what was going on outside his world, almost as much as we were with him. He immediately got a name " Agie " and right there a relationship started that lasted for quite a couple of years. I think he ended up in another guys tank, by the same means, that got him in my tank in the first place.

I think I should actually have a pic of him somewhere in the archives.

BUT my latest hitch hiker is something I got within the last couple of weeks. I bought a zoa rock and whilst inspecting the rock before buying it I saw something at the back, looking suspicious. I called the shop assistant and showed it to him and he said it was only polyps. I said I don't think so and he assured me it is. So I asked him whether the price for the rock is with everything on it and he answered affirmative.

I told him I'll come back for the rock later and he must not sell it. I did go back later and the "polyps"were still part of the rock.

This is what the polyp looks like now. Unfortunately he is at a place where it is very difficult to get a nice pic. Its the one looking out from the top right back

Come on and share your hitchies with us

Oh yes forgot to mention, it is a green bubble tip anemone.

OK so I did find 2 pics of my first hitch hiker, tha was worthy of remembering. You'll see the enviroment looks quite different from today. This was before skimmers, reactors, dosers etc. If you were fortunate enough to have a skimmer, it was a skimmer driven by a wooden airstone.

Bright green porites. Grew out the bottom of a coral i bought. Will post a pic later.

Also had lumo yellow sponge appear, but thenone of my fish decided it tasted good so the sponge is no more.

coolest thing I saw as a hitchhiker on a coral base was a gold "holographic monti" as its

called..unfortunately iy wasn't on a coral I bought..was already sold..havnt seen them in sa..this is the red one

post-713-0-17919300-1408754868.jpg

Last edited:
@4age these holograph montis are def amongst the more beautiful. Wish they would be more available here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicest thing I ever found was some stony cup corals. Nothing special but they very interesting. My friend Allan bought a zoa garden and scored 2 tiny plate corals. One purple and one green. Will try and find a picture.

I went tide pooling and picked up some dead sponge with lots of goodies. Didn't notice that I got a small goby along for the ride. He's an awesome pet.

Back
Top Bottom