Web ??

Reaction score
I have just seen something really odd. On the side of a piece of live rock there is something that i guess looks like a kidney bean, but it looks like part of the rock. In the top centre though there is something that keeps popping out and goes back in again. Also from this thing there is now what looks like a web, strung accross to my powerhead about 5cm away. Anyone heard of that before ?

I have just seen something really odd. On the side of a piece of live rock there is something that i guess looks like a kidney bean, but it looks like part of the rock. In the top centre though there is something that keeps popping out and goes back in again. Also from this thing there is now what looks like a web, strung accross to my powerhead about 5cm away. Anyone heard of that before ?

Interesting, photos would help:)

Look like this ?

moz-screenshot.jpg
1.jpg

Check out this thread:

Bought some more LR, what the heck is on it? - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

The "web thing" may be slime from a coral, seem to be a self-protection mechanism. But the pro's can confirm.

All the bugs and critters I have come across on my LR, has been confirmed as good. It seems only hitchhikers (crabs etc.) get the bad rap.

All the bugs and critters I have come across on my LR, has been confirmed as good. It seems only hitchhikers (crabs etc.) get the bad rap.

They are all good, sometimes they are just in appropriate for our tanks.

It looks like it send out the web to catch particles in the water, and then sucks it in and eats it !!

It looks like it send out the web to catch particles in the water, and then sucks it in and eats it !!

Also check out vermetid worm, another good freebie, difficult by description alone, they are fairly similar

Hey Kevin, Does this worm thing come out of a fairly solid tube ? There are a few in my tank and do not pose a problem at all. They send out a web ,especially when the water is dirty, catches particles and pulls it in slowly. Interesting to watch I think. They have never caused a problem in my system.

Hi guys - yes - I have a few hundred of these worms in my tank - some of these worms even create a "round spherical" web in close vicinity of the tube - others cast this "web" like spiderman would do, in order to "catch" particle material in the water column - which (as has been said) the worm then draws back into the tube.... The particles are then "scrubbed" from the "web" which the worm then feeds on.....

Yes Gavin, exactly right. It looks like the tube is part of the rock. Looks interesting !!

Must ask Sihaya what that is. That is about the best picture I have seen of it. the ones in my tank have a brown tube.

Back
Top Bottom