Water clarity

Marcel the boiling of the carbon actually reduces the PO4 content in the carbon. A good practice if you are not sure as to the GAC quality. However now days good quality, but costly, GAC is available relatively PO4 free and does not need pretreatment.
I always check a GAC by preparing a vial of PO4 free RO water with a PO4 test reagent. Drop a granule of GAC in the vial and if a blue streak emits then PO4 is present in abundance and not suitable for marine aquarium use. If the solution turns blue slowly ,say after a day or so then PO4 is still leaching and a Phos reducing substance need to be included in the treatment.

Last edited:
Marcel the boiling of the carbon actually reduces the PO4 content in the carbon. A good practice if you are not sure as to the AGC quality. However now days good quality, but costly, AGC is available relatively PO4 free and does not need pretreatment.
I always check a AGC by preparing a vial of PO4 free RO water with a PO4 test reagent. Drop a granule of AGC in the vial and if a blue streak emits then PO4 is present in abundance and not suitable for marine aquarium use. If the solution turns blue slowly ,say after a day or so then PO4 is still leaching and a Phos reducing substance need to be included in the treatment.

I did not know that, Keith. Thanks for sharing.
What exactly is AGC standing for?

Yup typed it incorrectly. Should have been GAC Granular activated carbon. Sorry Marcel no wonder you did not understand. Will edit my post.:thumbup:

Posted at the same time. GAC makes sense, yes. I was wondering what WTF?

WTF? I learnt this short cut from Frans. He is always using it, but he never spells it out. I wonder why?;)

Hi Marcel,

Yes we met once at Frances shop that Saturday. We spoke a while at the pub. I had the 'government' with me. She wanted to see the shop as well. You explained the de-shelling of the brine shrimp amoungst other things.
Considdering all the comment, I think I might get two water filters (RO unit types) and put another pump in the sump to push water through them. These canisters take about 1,5 litres of material. I'll put GAC in one and Purigen in another. Considdering their volumes, what rate of water flow through them is best? I'm thinking in the vicinity of 500 to 1000l per hour. Whats your thoughts?

Hi Marcel,

Yes we met once at Frances shop that Saturday. We spoke a while at the pub. I had the 'government' with me. She wanted to see the shop as well. You explained the de-shelling of the brine shrimp amoungst other things.
Considdering all the comment, I think I might get two water filters (RO unit types) and put another pump in the sump to push water through them. These canisters take about 1,5 litres of material. I'll put GAC in one and Purigen in another. Considdering their volumes, what rate of water flow through them is best? I'm thinking in the vicinity of 500 to 1000l per hour. Whats your thoughts?

Tim, my offer stands. I can pop around and we will discuss what to do.
Saves you the way to buy the tea strainer.

Back
Top Bottom