Using hyposalinity to remove a mantis shrimp from a rock full of zoanithids

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by MistaOrange, 18 May 2011.

1. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Hey guys/gals I have this mantis shrimp which decided to make my zoa colony his home. I've read that using hyposalinity wlii get the shrimp out but that was with just plain LR. How would hyposalinity affect the zoa colony?

Thanks in advance

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

Hey man, I dont know if the high sg would affect the coral but I have used RO in a syringe and it worked great and RO wont affect the zoa. Just take the coral out of the water then squirt otherwise the mantis will escape into your tank

4. MistaOrange

MistaOrange Thread Starter

did you just squirt ro into the hole?

5. mandarinman

mandarinman

get two litres of soda water and put colony in it. the low oxygen will cause the crittur to scurry out. then you can put the critter into salt water and coral back in tank

6. Tremayn

Tremayn

yip, just squirt the ro in the hole and the little shit came flying out!

7. MistaOrange

I like that 1 thanks Glen

lol cool idea but the little shit was in his tank but took the wrong home. There are many places for this little bugger to live in but he had to choose the zoa colony lol couldn't get any frags off of it because the bugger would get attack my fingers when they got too close to his hole. I just want to move the zoa to the frag tank but the mantis must stay where he is.

Thanks guys

8. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Why all the concern? :) What is the mantis doing to destroy your Zoe display? IMO mantis are very interesting and will complement your tank and become a pet before a villain. Now you know where he lives let it become part of your system. They are great pets.

9. MistaOrange

Nj don't get me wrong I love the the little bugger but that rock with the zoa colony needs to move to another tank. I have the rock on a rack above the mountain of rocks which was put there for the mantis but this rock is big & no place in mantis tank for it's final resting place. I had to find a new home for a false-eye toby & until then I couldn't put the zoa rock in that tank as the toby would have had a picnic with the zoa.

10. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

No problems bud. It is just that mantis are often construed as villains and accused of all sorts of bad things. But in reality are very interesting and the harm reported is often exaggerated, like how deadly sharks, scorpion fish, and electric rays are. They do give an "Ouch" from time to time though. Cool guys IMO

11. MistaOrange

I do agree on the ouch even though he's a little guy the bugger still gives a nasty kick/punch but that's only if my hands are too close to his burrow. I've got the soda water but was wondering if the soda water would harm the little guy?

Recent Posts