Trading UP!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by LifeAquatic, 21 Mar 2010.

1. LifeAquatic

LifeAquatic

Okay, so I'm thinking about upsizing from 55 gal (208 lt not including sump) to maybe 265 gal (1000 lt). I have a bit of coral and want to eventually keep an anemone. I haven't purchased the tank yet so, what say you? What do you suggest?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

@LifeAquatic how long and successful have you been with the 55g tank? Up sizeing also has it pit falls. Tell us about what you envisage your new tank to be, along with what you expect the budget is to run a 265g tank. Bud, we need to be on the same page here.

It is 3am Sunday to be Monday morning in SA. No worries it is a holiday today. I will check out your posts and give my opinion after a little shut eye. :thumbup:

4. Anemone

Anemone

A 265 gallon is a nice upgrade, but also an expensive one.

I see you’ve had a few attempts at keeping anemones before. Do you know what anemone species you would like to keep? If you haven’t already, read through the forums and learn as much as you can about them before you decide. Ask as many questions as you need to along the way.

Will you be keeping SPS, LPS, softies, or a combination?

Have you thought about your lighting or skimmer options yet?

5. LifeAquatic

LifeAquatic Thread Starter

ok, sorry for the delay in responding. Had tank maintenance to do. I meant to do it yesterday but ran out of time so wanted to take care of it today after work. (no holiday for me NJ) So, here's the history. Have been running the tank for nearly 3 years. When I first started, did the fish tank thing then fell in love with corals.

Got my first coral, frogspawn, which is still with me. Didn't really grow much the first year but after that has become large and healthy. Everything was doing great for about a year when the fish got larger and I added "just one more" and the bioload was too heavy. Got white spot and pretty much wiped the fish out (except for "killer" a little puffer and a firefish). Swore off fish for a year. Something attacked the goby and pretty much ate it before I found out.

I have a number of crabs (hermit, sally lightfoot, emerald), some shrimp (a peppermint and banded coral), a purple reef lobster, and a flame scallop.

For corals, I have a green and a blue ricordea, button polyp, assorted mushrooms, colt coral, torch, pipe organ, green bubble coral (not doing well... I'll explain that one later), finger leather, star polyp, and toadstool leather. I think that's about it.

Yes, Anemone, I had a couple of nennies. I had one early on, a magnificent... beautiful and did really great for about a year. Had a clown buddy and was just the most fascinatingly beautiful thing I've ever seen. Then, it went to the back of the tank, shriveled up and died. I have no idea why. I went to LFS they said it was my lights so I replaced the lights with T5HO. Gave it a shot with another from said LFS ... hadn't read as much as I've read since. The nennie was white with pink tips. LFS said they just need to be fed more often; nennie didn't survive. Gave up on nennies.

6. LifeAquatic

I stayed kind of the same for at least the last 6 months then decided that I'd like a couple of fish. Got two tomato clowns ... they're doing well, and a little pygmy angel. The angel, after a couple of days, showed signs of swelling on both sides near anus which burst open into open wounds. Went to fish store; they said bacteria ... quarantine and use this medicine ... put all fish in QT and treat. Now, that little angel hung right in the same cave as the lobster and I thought for sure there would be 'fish' for dinner... but no, they kind of hung out together. The wounds were clean but kind of large so I did as LFS said and QT everybody and treated. Angel died within 3 days! Notice the wounds weren't clean as they were when in DT. I think the lobster and shrimp were keeping the wounds clean. Should have just left it in the DT.

Now all fish in DT, everyone doing well... EXCEPT, I went to get a yellow tang to help with 'grazing duty' ... yes, same LFS. Picked out a small one; looked to be in good shape in the store. Got it home and into the tank, after it came out of hiding I noticed it didn't look to be in such good condition. Kind of scarred up and looks like HLLE (not that I've ever seen it in real life but resembles the drawings I've seen.

7. LifeAquatic

So now, I'm stuck. LFS has no return policy after a week and I didn't want to take him back there. Well, I can't get him to eat (yes, did the garlic thing) ... don't know what to do. He picks at some algae but looks very thin to me.

So, after all this I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't go for a bigger tank because I've had some issues over the past 3 years.

Let me also say, I check parameters ... In the past month here is the WORST measurements (week after adding new fish):
    PH: 8.0
    Nitrite: 0.2
    Calcium: 400
    Phosphate: 0
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrate: 0
    SG: 1.022
    Iodine (recently started checking and adding) 0.0

Yes, the SG was low... I have corrected it and it's running 1.025 now; also fixed the PH, now it's 8.2. Iodine was 0 when I first checked... after a month it's now 0.06. Nitrates are up a little as of last check 10, thus the WC. Plan to let things stabilize over night and check tomorrow after work.

8. LifeAquatic

I want a bigger tank and was thinking about 120 or 150 gallons. Went to the LFS and saw 265... it didn't look all that much bigger, but was deeper which is what I really liked. I'd like to keep the larger fish and mixed corals and would love, love, love to have another anemone. I'm also pretty disgusted with the LFS I've been going to. It's the only one close but their livestock seems kind of beat up and not healthy (looking much closer since the last purchase). There's a much better store but it's a bit farther away. I used to go there and all the fish from them were healthy.

9. LifeAquatic

So, after reading and seeing everyone's tanks, I thought I'd come to you guys for some advise. I don't trust the LFS anymore and really want to do this right. Now... also, the 'government' won't go for a build it yourself, take up the whole house deal. As it is, I just got the green light to upgrade. Thought I'd go for the one I really want rather than incremental upgrades (may not get permission again).

Budget... Tank I found (have not looked around much) 265 gal, with stand and plumbing $2100 US. Figure I'll do some shopping around but also figure at least that much again for all the other stuff ... sump, lighting, skimmer, etc. So, let's say budget is $5000 US.

Don't have any chance of doing a big sump with DSB or holes cut through the wall for an engine room. No plumbing in the area where I'm allowed to put tank, so unit will have to be very self supporting and self contained. "must be in a cabinet and can't you build some shelves around it so it looks more like the entertainment center"... (no, I'm not kidding, and NO that isn't happening; can you imagine trying to do maintenance?)

10. LifeAquatic

I know it sounds like I've had a lot of issues. Sitting here writing it all out at once makes ME think I've had a lot of issues. Had some setbacks when I first started but tank has been fairly stable for the most part, with the exception of the last 2 fish. So, what do you think?

11. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

LOL LifeAquatic! Welcome to being a "TRUE" reefkeeper! "outside" problems and all! ;)

You can always go for a remote DSB, if possible, and a huge skimmer. If not - go for the skimmer alone, and make a DSB in the display tank. With a 265 gallon tank, you have a LOT of space to play with....

I would suggest looking at what space you have available for a remote DSB, and / or refugium. If not at all - leave anything else out, and go as big on the skimmer as you can......

You can manually dose calcium additives - a CaRX is a "nice to have", and not a necessity. So - you can still have a really fantastic tank, in this design....

12. LifeAquatic

Okay, so I've done some shopping and here goes...
    Tank and cabinet
    190 - 4 Wide
    48 x 36 x 25 Tall
    Reef Ready: Comes standard with 1 Glass Wall Overflow (located on back panel of aquarium), Comes standard with 3 holes for the overflow
    Bulkheads for overflows (3)
    Hinged glass top. Comes with plastic section that can be notched out for extra hoses. Midsection is two glass panes hinged together
    Acrylic cover for overflows
    50 Tall Acrylic Aquarium Customized Sump Tank
    48 x 36 x 30 Tall Oak Stand. Extra side door to provide easier access to sump tank

representative pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. LifeAquatic

Reef Octopus Extreme 8 Inch (200 Gallon) In Sump Protein Skimmer
    Price: $319.99
    http://www.marinedepot.com/Reef_Oct...ein_Skimmers-CoralVue-CV5151-FIPSISNW-vi.html
    This new skimmer line will include the following features: