time delay switch

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by IMarine, 14 Jul 2009.

1. IMarine

IMarine

Hi all for those like me that has a problem with external skimmers that when your power goes out the skimmer fills up to high and over spills your skimmer when power resumes, we should have a time delay switch ,what it does is that when power resumes our water level is already to high in the skimmer, so your external pump fills your skimmer to fast to control but buy having a time delay it delays the power of your feed pump and skimmer for anything from 5mins to 60 mins, a nice toy to have and save you floors from getting wet and wife from going aip **** on us ,and also saves you from lifting your skimmer above your sump level,i thought i will share this with you guys.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jaak

Jaak

Great idea, are you going to dyi one?

4. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Great idea boet...
    Are you available this wkend

5. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Sounds good Imraan! Where did you get it from?

6. Tony

Tony

I'm tagging on this one. I would like to see one for my skimmer as the NeoZeo method says to switch your skimmer off for a few hours after dosing

7. IMarine

IMarine Thread Starter

Yes Riyaad just call me before you come,and i spoke to my sparkey about it ,i got a costing for it R1000.00 but he got it for me for R750.00 the amazing thing about this unit is,you connect it to your supply direct and then you can use up to 3 other pumps to it to a max of 2000watts,i now i should not be advertizing it(sorry mods just trying to help) but if any body wants pm me i can arrange it,and its not a diy unit

8. Warr7207

Warr7207

I have an external skimmer and I don't understand the problem ?

I have never had the skimmer overflow when the power resumes.

9. IMarine

IMarine Thread Starter

Hi Warr if you got a shorty skimmer external that sits just on your water mark of you sump and have no return valve,when power goes out your water from the top of your tank runs back to fill your sump and over fills through your pipe thats joined from your skimmer to your sump and fills up to a max of 90% of your neck of your skimmer, so when power returns as water goes back to the top of your tank, it takes at least 1minute for a skimmer to empty to your water level of your skimmer, by that time your skimmer thats so full of water over fills your skimmer, so by putting a time delay switch you are delaying power of your skimmer and aswell as your feed pump of your skimmer by 5mins, your skimmer is back to water level and by the time your time delay switch switches on your water level in your skimmer is correct

10. Warr7207

Warr7207

Sorry, I have an external skimmer that is not connected to my sump like how you describe. I just have a pipe pumping water from the skimmer to the sump, so water level in the sump never effects the skimmer.

Recent Posts