Tank moving

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Wetty, 15 Apr 2009.

1. Wetty

Wetty Rockford Fosgate Fish

So here goes..

I set up my first marine aquarium bout 6 - 8 months ago...but being stupid I didnt put wheels at the bottom of the cabinet.

Now iv got my external box overflows ( a tunze unit and a Reef Octopus unit ) and iv done the plumbing for both...so I can alternate. I want to use the R.O overflow instead of the Tunze.

But i dont have enuff clearance between the tank and the wall. My cabinet is touching the floor skirting...so its not against the wall. But I just need that 5 - 7mm clearance for the R.O overflow to fit nicely.

The Tunze fits nicely without a prob.....except that the plumbing has a swivel part and that doesnt fit in the gap.

I want to move the tank or the cabinet...just slightly. How can I do it safely without draining the tank and disturbing the ecology thats so happy. Im thinking of draining it half way to make the job easier...but not completely.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Wetty, to be on the safe side, drain as much water out as possible and then slowly lift the tank into place. Then put the water back. I've done this before successfully.

4. Pete

Pete

Agree with mek remove as much water as possable and then move the whole unit slowly

5. Wetty

Wetty Thread Starter Rockford Fosgate Fish

Iv got such a successful tank in beginner terms...and im worried that ill screw up wotevers working if I drain the water, take out the live rock and sand bed. Im hoping to not move the tank unless I move. Eish

6. ben lloyd

ben lloyd

good luck i tried it ones and end up cracking one corner of the glass, tray and make the tank as light as possible and use a crowbar at the bottom of the frame to move it away from the wall.

7. Mekaeel

You can leave the LR and substrate in. With too much of water in the tank, while moving it, you will put too much of strain on the glass, the last thing you want is POP.... Remember most of the life lies in the LR and substrate rather than the water.

8. Wetty

Im worried bout the weight. Its like 12mm glass all round with a 20mm base, 900mmx750mmx750mm cube with atleast 35kg of live rock and 80kg of mixed substrate.

Almost a ton alone without any water. Shoo....:lol:

9. Mekaeel

It's a pity the MASA Tank Movers are based in Durban otherwise we could have got the job done :lol:

10. Wetty

Yeah man...WTF IS WRONG WITH U GUYS???!!!! Theres a market up here. :razz: :lol: :lol:

11. Dillon

Dillon

I have moved my tanks many times, my nano marine tank is on a granite top and I just push and pull as necessary :)

The trick is to move the tank one go in a fluid motion. I would suggest emptying the tank out as much as is feasable and try to slip some cardboard or something under the cabinet to aid with the pull. When you do the pull, have you and a mate sit on opposite sides of the cabinet faccing the wall. Then push against the wall with your feet and pull the BOTTOM of the cabinet forward - do not pull from anywhere else but the bottom! Oh, the water is going to swich a lot, so disconnect all electrical equipment and makes sure that the live rock will not fall over and crack the glass.

Have fun!

12. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

having recently moved my tank, all i can say it that i feel your pain !

as a WILD thought ......... IF your stand is made of steel and all you are looking for is 5 mm...... why not try using a car jack to move it away from the wall.... one smooth movement and a hell of a lot of praying that you dont hear POP.........???????

13. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Mate .... with a 1000kg tank and what you are suggesting, i hope i never run into you in a dark alley.... and i am not the smallest oke in the world :)

14. Wetty

Unfort the cabinet is only wood...doesnt make much sense to me...and no steal frame hidden away on the inside.

Soon in the future ill have a new cabinet and canopy made to what I want.

15. FransSny

FransSny

you could always us a kids pool (the inflateble type)...syphon water into it, move LR & LS into it...i would leave the substrate ...move the tank

then do the same from pool to tank once finished. I did it when i bouight my bigger tank

16. FransSny

FransSny

wetty ive got the same problem...wood only cabinet so i guys i will be following my own advice in the future :p

17. Wetty

Maybe I shud consider that. I was thinking maybe those big plastic baths maids use in their flats at the back of the yard...no offense to anyone :whistling:

18. FransSny

FransSny

weety the only reason i used the pool its non toxic pvc, folds away and CHEAP:thumbup:

good luck...i know im not looking forward to the time i have to do mine:p

19. Wetty

Folds away....good call. :lol:

Recent Posts