Sump dezine

Reaction score
Hi
I have desided to add a sump to my tank.
can some one please help me with the scetch and what i have to put in every compartment of the sump. the space i have is 30cm wide x 76cm long x 35cm high.

STANDARDSUMP.jpg

Here we go this is a basic but very very effective design for a sump

Any chance of making the sump longer to accommodate the DSB?

i dont need to put the skimmer in the sump it can staand on the side. dont i need to put LR in and anny other filter media

look at calvins skimmer maybe you could ask him how he made his next tank im doing that. And use as much space for a DSB as posibble

i dont need to put the skimmer in the sump it can staand on the side. dont i need to put LR in and anny other filter media

If you have and external Skimmer plumbed into your overflow that will be fine.

You can have live rock on eggcrate on the DSB

Four minutes for an answer with a sketch - Hey Kanga, you're getting slow ):

Good sketch, though...

Wildbunny, you can put some LR in the sump as well (just lift it off the sand...) but that is not really necessary.

Apologies Hennie, will try and be faster next time sir:thumbup: But you know they make us work in the back here, busy wearing my MASApedian hat:p

Thanks

If you have and external Skimmer plumbed into your overflow that will be fine.

You can have live rock on eggcrate on the DSB

This mght sound dumb but a "eggcrate" please expalian that one to me.
:blushing:

Although there is nothing wrong with keeping the DSB and refugium separate, one can just as easily keep them together in one are, with the LR and/or algae above the sand. Of course, IF you are using chaeto as a nutrient export only (i.e. nor also a hiding place for little "goggas"), the best would be to have a large "bush" of it slowly spinning in it's own compartment, with a bright light directly above it.

Here we go Miki, but I must say, I agree with Hennie, I have my cheato above my DSB

MekaeelSump.jpg

Although there is nothing wrong with keeping the DSB and refugium separate, one can just as easily keep them together in one are, with the LR and/or algae above the sand. Of course, IF you are using chaeto as a nutrient export only (i.e. nor also a hiding place for little "goggas"), the best would be to have a large "bush" of it slowly spinning in it's own compartment, with a bright light directly above it.

what is chaeto and how does it look and where do i get it?

good sketches kanga ,i dont have dsb in my sump .ive got bio balls in first compartment .broken up corals in second and pro. skimmer and return pump in third ,does all this sound good.

good sketches kanga ,i dont have dsb in my sump .ive got bio balls in first compartment .broken up corals in second and pro. skimmer and return pump in third ,does all this sound good.

Lindsay I think we have just found your Hair Algae foodsource.

They actually become nitrate factories after a while which ends up being a food source for your algae, hence it grows even faster.

Just in case you're wondering, Kanga is talking about your bioballs :)

Lindsay, your Protein Skimmer is best placed in your first compartment that receives water from the display tank.

Hi WildBunnt - to answer your question: Chaetomorpha is a type of macro algae that we found does not cause any major problems in the marine environment (whereas others might cause problems)...... Post a question that someone in your vicinity perhaps either bring you some (if there's another reefer on the forum that lives close to you), else that someone perhaps post (mail) you some chaeto in a small plastic bag (it survives the trip - so don't worry)....

Chaetomorpha (macro algae's) act as an "algae scrubber" in the sense that it removes nitrates and phosphates from the water that could fuel other bad macro algaes (ie. hair algae, bryposis, etc).....

Lyndsey - I fully agree with Dean - BOTH the bio-balls as well as coral pieces would catch up TOO much detritus, and even though the bacteria would indeed work well in the sense of the nitrogen cycle - phosphates would also be leached. Phosphates are like the stuff that gets put on grass outside your house to help it grow..... in a marine tank phosphates are a complete no-no!

Back
Top Bottom