Sump dezine

thank you Kanga.thats pretty cool.only my skimmer is on the outside :p

Only thing I would change is add a baffle before the return pump, like the pic attached. Sometimes the water falling over the devider can cause bubbles which is sucked in and chopped up by the return pump... having the water flow under the last baffle will prevent that.
180478b230e7abb0.jpg

Only thing I would change is add a baffle before the return pump, like the pic attached. Sometimes the water falling over the devider can cause bubbles which is sucked in and chopped up by the return pump... having the water flow under the last baffle will prevent that.
180478b230e7abb0.jpg

Yes - quite right Boomslang....

Guys I disagree, its a waste of good DSB real estate, I have my pane at and angle and the only bubbles I have is when my fish fart:lol:

I tried it at an angle once, but still had problems, do you know at what exact angle you have the last devider.... maybe there is a magic number?

Guys I disagree, its a waste of good DSB real estate, I have my pane at and angle and the only bubbles I have is when my fish fart:lol:

Most likely due to the Peroni fumes, hey Kanga! ;-)

Four minutes for an answer with a sketch - Hey Kanga, you're getting slow ):

Good sketch, though...

Wildbunny, you can put some LR in the sump as well (just lift it off the sand...) but that is not really necessary.

Here's a useful link:

Reefkeeping 101 – Sumps! by Marc Levenson - Reefkeeping.com

Hope this helps as well.

Hennie

Hennie

Very nice link. please may ask two questions:

Why lift the LR off the sand ?

Can you explain "Refugium on reverse lighting - Helps maintain pH levels during the late night hours." from the above link

Why lift the LR off the sand ?

This will allow water movement over the total area of the sand, preventing accumulation of debris and allowing a larger surface area of sand to operate aerobically.

Algae (and the algae living inside the coral) give off oxygen, and use up CO2, when photosynthesising (when the lights are on) - this causes the water's pH to increase. During periods of darlness, they do just the reverse, causing the pH to drop.

"Reverse daylight" is just a term for running the sump lights "on" during the night, and "off" during the day. If you have a substantial amount of algae in the sump, you will find that doing so tends to smooth out the relatively large pH changes (of 0.3 - 0.5 pH...) normally found in a reef tank.

Hope this helps.

Hennie

Only thing I would change is add a baffle before the return pump, like the pic attached. Sometimes the water falling over the devider can cause bubbles which is sucked in and chopped up by the return pump... having the water flow under the last baffle will prevent that.http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=480

If you just run the water level in the return chamber at a higher level (mine is only about 10mm lower than the rest of the sump...) you won't have any bubble problem, AND the larger water quantity is more beneficial to everything...

Hennie

If you just run the water level in the return chamber at a higher level (mine is only about 10mm lower than the rest of the sump...) you won't have any bubble problem, AND the larger water quantity is more beneficial to everything...

Hennie
Good point, I do the same and instead of a cascading waterfall going over the last divider I only get the occasional bubble being created.

My last sump compartment divider is up-and-under - which means that the water does not flow OVER the comparment and "fall" into the return compartment, but it flows from the 2nd last compartment, through my chemical filtration media, into the last compartment where the return pumps, phosphate reactor and heater is located.

This will allow water movement over the total area of the sand, preventing accumulation of debris and allowing a larger surface area of sand to operate aerobically.

Algae (and the algae living inside the coral) give off oxygen, and use up CO2, when photosynthesising (when the lights are on) - this causes the water's pH to increase. During periods of darlness, they do just the reverse, causing the pH to drop.

"Reverse daylight" is just a term for running the sump lights "on" during the night, and "off" during the day. If you have a substantial amount of algae in the sump, you will find that doing so tends to smooth out the relatively large pH changes (of 0.3 - 0.5 pH...) normally found in a reef tank.

Hope this helps.

Hennie

Thanks, get help

Back
Top Bottom