Reef safe glue/putty

Reaction score
Hi All

I was wondering if everyone could compile a list of glue's/putty's that have been used safely in reef tanks?

I see the american's like to use super glue. One brand was the same Quick-tight we get here. Any views on this?

i use superglue -not quick tight - just regular superglue and my clam, fish and corals are still alive

Yip the concensus in SA is either Super Glue Gel, or Pratley Putty Original.
There are of course products by AM etc which are purple (coraline look alike)

I like Deltec's Reef Putty, nice pink colour, but costs a whack :(

I know this is an old thread, but i have to ask - how do you use the pratly putty?
Do you wait for it to set before you put the coral back into the water or do you put it in back while the putty is still soft?

Yip the concensus in SA is either Super Glue Gel, or Pratley Putty Original.
There are of course products by AM etc which are purple (coraline look alike)
what the heck is the super glue 'GEL'? is that the same as normal super glue? if we were to use super glue what brands could we use? cause prattley putty is just not working for me:(

Stewart. The gel is also made by Bostik. Same type of tube as the standard Bostik glue's,but it is stated on the tube 'Gel'. I use the stuff.
What are you trying to glue down? If it's tiny frags,Super glue will do the trick,for the larger corals, frags and LR then you go for putty.

By the way,if you need a hand on how to to stick with Putty,pop in by me and i'll give you a demo ;)
cool, i got some other pratley stuff where i had to mix two different glues to make one and that just turned into a massive nightmare. so i would like it to squirt and stick you know? kind of know how to use the putty, it just doesnt want to stick to the frags i stick it too:) then it starts breaking up and the bits start goin around the tank:( so squirt and stick would be easier:)

The way i use putty....Make a blob then mix it up properly (no water, use your fingers).
Place the putty onto the rock and rub it in until the putty gets a grip on the rock.then take the frag and squeeze it into the putty (you might want to turn of the pumps for a while). In 24 hours,it would be as hard as rock.

tried it that way too, possible problem due to old putty, but generally it gives me grief, like the monties, i cant press too hard cause they will break, so i guess i will just blame the putty:) thanks mek, problem solved:)

I know this is an old thread, but i have to ask - how do you use the pratly putty?
Do you wait for it to set before you put the coral back into the water or do you put it in back while the putty is still soft?

hi raven, you basically work the putty up outside the tank before applying it so as not to cloud your tank up with its chemical make up,and stick your stuff, theres no need to take the stuff out to dry as the putty hardens over time underwater, make sure you work with alittle at a time and not too much as the tank can get alot cloudy :)

I was thinking about buying Loctite a few months back when there was no Bostik Super glue, but was a bit sceptical. Have you used it with success?

It the only super glue I use, because it sets way quicker than Bostik. The Bostik you have to hold the frag in place for at least a minute and then still hope it holds :p

Only problem with Loctite is it is BIG $$$

Back
Top Bottom