Please help me save this tank.

Reaction score
My wife bakes cakes in her spare time and today I was asked to go drop a cake in Milneton. When I arrived at the house I was shocked at the site I was faced with not because there was something wrong with the cake but rather what I was faced with. The people has a marine tank but I have never seen a tank in this bad state. I tried taking out most of the algae by hand but believe it or not this tank has run for months without a skimmer or (as I can see) any filtration. There are some fish still in the tank and as it stands the only other thing done to the tank was a small water change

Last edited:
Sorry for the bad photos

IMG-20140125-WA001.jpg

IMG-20140125-WA000.jpg

IMG-20140125-WA007.jpg

If you were closer I would offer to buy whole tank :(

Are they willing to sell? I would be interested in whole setup if price is ok? I can restart it after a nice clean 1st

Guys this is a cry help and I don't think that buying the tank is going to solve the problem. I think the owner should be educated and then he has the choice to make an informed decision to keep it or sell it @Snoek it will take a little time but you know it can be done. There is no super quick fix.Drop me a message lets see what can be done.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Clowning ... That is not poorly educated mistake, that is an obvious neglect and clearly the owner does nt care, to let the tank get to that state without seeking assistance is unforgivable, that tank rather needs to be taken away frm the household its in

A few guys gna come together and get tank running properly and cleaned up, meanwhile a couple of months down the line the owner will just neglect it again.Not everyone is cut out for reefing, some people just got too much money to waste and no concern for the real health and smooth running of the tank

I say we pursuade the owner to sell,for the tank and inhabitants sake

this is what i would do:

1) measure the salinity and adjust accordingly, tank that has been neglected for few months will surely have the salinity off even if its just a bit (this is not absolutely necessary but it wont hurt and will take only 10 min so might as well)

2) clean the front class with a blade so at least you can see what is going on in the tank

3) connect a skimmer (i think you have already done that) and let it take out the worst junk

4) measure for NO3 and PO4 if you wanna reduce the algae and decide on nutrient export method .. bio cubes might be the best and most aggressive method since any other method will take long time to establish

5) if there are no corals in the tank reduce the light cycle to bare minimum to assist with the algae removal...

6) do a water change... not a very big one abut 25% will do in my opinion and perhaps do another one few days later

7) feed the fish

8) measure the Ca, Mg and Alk levels .. although you will not have to fix that immediately it doesnt hurt to know where you stand so you can prepare solutions for when its time

9)tell the tank owner that hes a tool (tho on the second thought that might be a bad idea since they are supporting your wifes cake business)

10) keeep us updated on the progress

I agree with @HOT SAUCE .... Make sure the owner is interested tho, if nt, convince him to sell .... If he refuses to sell, atleast refer him to some okes that does maintanace packages coz man its sad seeing a tank in that state

Hey @Snoek! I know this is way off topic, but do I see some grape caulerpra algae?. If so, could you please help me out with some?

Consider not removing more algae, probably the only thing removing No3 and Po4. The tank may be at an "ugly" balancing point where actual water conditions are not as bad compared to how ugly it looks. Removing algae can possibly make it worse. Just a thought.

Hey @Snoek! I know this is way off topic, but do I see some grape caulerpra algae?. If so, could you please help me out with some?

My post was not in reply to yours, I type very slow. Yours were not there when I started typing. Coincidence.

My post was not in reply to yours, I type very slow. Yours were not there when I started typing. Coincidence.
I got that:)
Consider not removing more algae, probably the only thing removing No3 and Po4. The tank may be at an "ugly" balancing point where actual water conditions are not as bad compared to how ugly it looks. Removing algae can possibly make it worse. Just a thought.
I agree with this! All that algae and cyano bacteria is keeping that water at a livable level for fish and inverts to thrive. Removing all algae at once will be the end of the system.

The tank is not for sale unfortunately. If it was I would have had it. The aim here is to get everyone's opinions to see the best way forward. I will update weekly with photos and feedback. Thanks for the input.

Sell the tank or someone phone spca, this is neglect and absolutely unacceptable. No advice needed
:)

This type of _____ really peves me off!!!! absolute blatant disregard for animal life. unacceptable and giving our hobby a bad name. Take down the tank and sell it. There is now way this user is even remotely interested in staying in the hobby

This type of ________ really peves me off!!!! absolute blatant disregard for animal life. unacceptable and giving our hobby a bad name. Take down the tank and sell it. There is now way this user is even remotely interested in staying in the hobby

That's what I said, its not a lack of experience, its a lack of interest

This is a good example of why so many newcomers don't post on the forum.
Following the wrong advice would get a tank looking like that, so don't start calling it blatant disregard, animal cruelty etc without knowing the full story.
Snoek has started this thread to ask for advice, not to hear your thoughts on what a bad person the tank owner is.

Algae has never killed any thing. The LS is probably thriving. I find it amazing that as soon as we see algae and cyano we think neglect.

Back
Top Bottom