Palytoxin Poisoning (Get Well Curt!)

Reaction score
My good buddy Curt (Mantisfreak) got palytoxin poisoning yesterday! So I just wanted to ask you all to pray for him (if you pray), or think of him (if you think)... or maybe just post a get well or something if you like. He's going to be ok, thank goodness, but this is not a fun thing to have to go through!

So, maybe this post can also serve as a warning to everyone regarding the dangers of this stuff! I believe Curt had a rather limited exposure... I don't even want to think about what could have happened to him (or anyone else) with any more exposure. :(

And well, I hope by the time Curt sees this he's feeling better! :flowers:

Get well young Mantisfreak. :thumbup:

Thanks for posting the helpful link Henk. I believe he and his buddies were fragging a bunch of things and Curt had his hands in the frag tank with some open scratches/wounds on his hands/arms. Just goes to show you... you don't have to eat zoas or rub them in your eye to get poisoned!

Thanks Everyone!!!

I'm feeling MUCH better.

I was having breathing issues, my heart was fluttering which made me throw up. Once my stomach emptied out, I had to deal with "dry heaves" which hurt. I was downing a whole bunch of water just so I had something to throw up.

I was telling Sara that this is stupid. Two weeks ago, I did a fragging workshop for my clients and I was so careful to explain to them that you NEVER touch your mucus membranes (eyes, nose, mouth) until after you wash your hands. I should have pointed out, you don't want any open cuts either.

I don't want to scare people too much. These Palythoa sand polyps contain a LOT more palytoxin than most zoanthids. However, there is always some present. Please be careful. Yesterday was a rare day off for me and, trust me, there were better ways to spend it than staring at a toilet.

Glad to here you feeling better, and sorry to hear how you spent your day off:p

Good Luck

Thanks everyone. :thumbup:

I'm up this morning and I'm back at 100%.

Here's a couple of known facts about Palytoxin;

Hawaiians used to dip spear heads in a concoction containing zoa-juice. I guess they were real serious at wanting to kill their enemies.

Palytoxin is also the longest Carbon chain known to scientists at this point.

Thanks everyone. :thumbup:

I'm up this morning and I'm back at 100%.

Here's a couple of known facts about Palytoxin;

Yeah we worry when one of our fellow reefers are not well;) Glad to hear you are back up and running.

Hawaiians used to dip spear heads in a concoction containing zoa-juice. I guess they were real serious at wanting to kill their enemies.

Palytoxin is also the longest Carbon chain known to scientists at this point

Damn send some juice we will find a use for it in SA:lol:

Thanks

As soon as I have time, I'm going to be writing an article on this subject because it is truly dangerous. It's even more dangerous than combining water and electricity in the same hobby. ;)

Sara will host the article on ASIRA. I think that one of the things that helps hobbiests is the fact that the more attractive the palythoa, zoanthus, etc., the less palytoxin it has. Regardless, care should still ALWAYS be exercised.

Woah. I hope the paly's that hitch-hiked on my LR get more colourful! LOL.

Glad you're ok mantisfreak :thumbup:

Glad to hear your ordeal is over dude.

Just a thought - IF we are running activated carbon, and have a LOT of water - the poison should be diluted MUCH more than the amount that Curt had to endure? As he actually fragged the zoanthids, and handled them with his hands, right?

Back
Top Bottom