N/P Pellets DOES work!

How long did you wait for the stuff to kick in? Some guys are talking about a month?

How long did you wait for the stuff to kick in? Some guys are talking about a month?

This is a very good question. On established tanks we noticed that it takes up to 8 weeks to notice the difference. Some of our clients claim that it took 6 weeks.

On new systems (Starting up the tank with NP Pellets) it takes up to 4 weeks.

the Reactors are Way over priced...
Was thinking of going this route, But wow..$$$$$$

Yes, I agree. The start-up cost is high, but considering the monthly maintenance it works you out way cheaper than a Phosphate reactor.

If you had to take the smallest phosphate reactor of lets say R1000, and then you have to replace the media once a month or preferable once every 3rd week.. The normal phosphate reactor works out much more expensive in the long run.. Plus it only removes phosphates.

The NP Pellet reactor removed Nitrates and Phosphates, so the cost does justify it self over and over!!;)

I really think you getting what you pay for and the reactors are the Latest Tech and made specifically for the purpose of N & P pellets, you will pay a premium . No sponges to get clogged up or anyting

the Reactors are Way over priced...
Was thinking of going this route, But wow..$$$$$$

I'm using the bubble magus fluidised filters for R900-00. It can take two packet and works nicely. you just have to take the filter sponges out

Yes, I agree. The start-up cost is high, but considering the monthly maintenance it works you out way cheaper than a Phosphate reactor.

If you had to take the smallest phosphate reactor of lets say R1000, and then you have to replace the media once a month or preferable once every 3rd week.. The normal phosphate reactor works out much more expensive in the long run.. Plus it only removes phosphates.

The NP Pellet reactor removed Nitrates and Phosphates, so the cost does justify it self over and over!!;)
Not really Tiger. The Phosphate media can be run in a stocking in a high flow area in the sump, reactor is not compulsory. A bottle of eg. Aqua Medic Po4 remover costs R250.00 and is rated for 300 liters. It needs to be changed every 6 months. But now this is a different type of filtration all together.

incedently the skimz FB reactors have a nice dispersion plate at the bottom of the reactor for even upward water movement. i have one of these im going to run the pellets in..

wow reading up on reefcentral and ultimate reef on the np issue and so far all seem positive..

can anyone give me a diagram of the sequence in which to add this into the filtration chain?

Hi Les

I was wondering the same thing last night.

From what i can see is the best place to keep it is before the skimmer then the reactor needs to flow close to the skimmer inlet then out the skimmer back to your return.

Hi Les

From what i can see is the best place to keep it is before the skimmer then the reactor needs to flow close to the skimmer inlet then out the skimmer back to your return.

i am thinking about feeding water into the bed filter containing Bio pellets and then plumbing it to feed my skimmer directly.. from what i can make out from the various discussions on RC and UR is that the reaction takes place within the reactor and no bacteria needs to actually enter the system, i cant see the skimmer catching all of it in any case. and i could always bleed a 5mm bypass off of the skimmer feed pipe if i want to allow some more bacteria to go through to the tank..

very interesting read indeed.

Sorry for a stupid question here as i haven't followed the NP pellets story at all, but why dont you want bacteria in the system, even i am confused here?

Hi Les

you want the reactor pump at the return chamber and the outlet at the skimmer inlet ( or as close to it as possible)

i am thinking about feeding water into the bed filter containing Bio pellets and then plumbing it to feed my skimmer directly.. from what i can make out from the various discussions on RC and UR is that the reaction takes place within the reactor and no bacteria needs to actually enter the system, i cant see the skimmer catching all of it in any case. and i could always bleed a 5mm bypass off of the skimmer feed pipe if i want to allow some more bacteria to go through to the tank..

Wont the flow hampen your skimmers performance. The pellets are like zeolites which we use to house our bacteria ans we are told to flush the zeo,filter every day to release the bacteria to feed corals. I cant see the danger of having excess bacteria getting into the sytem. It will feed the corals and boost the bacteria in the tank. We also need to be aware that not all phoshates and nitrates are in suspension so bacteria is needed in the tank itself to outcompete algae or whatever for nutrients

very interesting read indeed.

Sorry for a stupid question here as i haven't followed the NP pellets story at all, but why dont you want bacteria in the system, even i am confused here?

I'm not sure of other reasons but mine is cyano. My tank has just about at zero nutrients but the vodka dosing is fuelling my cyano so I want to keep the vodka out of the DT till the cyano is no more

basically the excess bacteria will enter the tank and start colonising everywhere which could be come negitive. also thebinding agent within the pellets seems to be something the guys on the other forums are suggesting shouldent enter the DT? im trying to make sence of it all but plumbing the pellet ractor into the skimmer seems like the best option to me..

Les I wanted to say with me attaching your post. Wont the outlet plumbed directly into your skimmer hampen its performance?

you want the reactor pump at the return chamber and the outlet at the skimmer inlet ( or as close to it as possible)

Would that be pointless. All you doing is going in a circle then.

If your standard setup was this.

Skimmer -> Refugium -> Return

Then you would always loop the water from Return to skimmer??? Doesnt make sense.

I thought it would be

NP Pellets -> Skimmer -> Refugium -> Return

Les I wanted to say with me attaching your post. Wont the outlet plumbed directly into your skimmer hampen its performance?

of the bio pellet reactor? or the skimmer?

i see alot of guys are plumbing them straight to the skimmer now that im getting to latest pages on the UR thread.

still playing with flow and back up in the even of a power failure.. even considered fitting a Tunze silence with battery p
back up as my return and hafing it bleed off to the reactor > skimmer > and 1st compartment again. but then the skimmer is off and bacteria would be dumped into the tank. so the skimmer would have to be fitted to the back up battery also?

or am i over engeneering this?

Would that be pointless. All you doing is going in a circle then.

If your standard setup was this.

Skimmer -> Refugium -> Return

Then you would always loop the water from Return to skimmer??? Doesnt make sense.

I thought it would be

NP Pellets -> Skimmer -> Refugium -> Return

the problem with this is that you would want as many semi solids removed before the NP pellets otherwise it may assist in clogging the reactor.. im also trying to figure out a sequence but the most promising (if 1 pump is to be used and placed on back up), would be to bleed off the return..

Back
Top Bottom