N/P Pellets DOES work!

Discussion in 'Products and Equipment from Dorry Pets' started by Dewald@Dorry, 23 May 2011.

1. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

Hi fellow reefers!

As you may recall many threads together with tests were performed by reefers here on MASA about NP Bio-pellets. Most feedback were negative with some good results.:p

Myself and Lanzo performed LOADS of research on NP Pellets and have tried and tested many different reactors, pellets, flow rates etc.

We can now with confidence say and state that NP Pellets does work!:thumbup:

We have started up a tank in our shop some 5 - 6 months ago using only NP Pellets and a TS2 Skimmer. The tank holds about 500 liters of water.

We even went as far to skip water changes for 3 months and the results were unbelievable.:biggrin:

Like many denitration methods, we believe that they all work, but has to be applied the correct way. Just like DSB for example. Many reefers claim that they don't work only to find out that they applied the method incorrectly.

With NP Pellets there are certain very important facts to consider in order to run this successfully.;)

Flow:

This is where many of us got it wrong... NP Pellets require LOADS of flow. Plenty of flow is needed to prevent any bacterial build-up from taking place. Basically the flow needs to be strong enough to constantly loosen the bacterial build-up from the pellet right to the skimmer intake where it is removed.

If the flow is to weak the bacterial build-up remains stagnant and sulfur problems occur.

Reactor:

The correct reactor must be used. We have DYI'd our own reactors together with some maintenance clients and the correct reactor play's a HUGE role. A reactor must be used that can stir the pellets quite violently. This ensures that the pellets rubs against each other removing the bacterial build-up.

Preferable reactors containing NO sponges must be used. The slime (Bacteria) that is constantly removed clogs the sponges and then requires maintenance. Once you remove the pellets to perform maintenance you trigger bacterial die-off.

We personally recommend Reef Octopus NP Pellets reactors. The second batch of reactors that landed really have some nifty improvements since the first reactors was released!

Skimmer:

As most products on the market like Phos E, NP Pellets only works well in conjunction with a GOOD quality skimmer. Preferable rated for 30% more than the total water volume. Once the bacterial wastage is removed from the pellets using the correct flow and reactor, the skimmer removes this from the water.

Pellet Amount:

We have done many experiments and found the following to work very well:

• N/P Bio Pellets = We recommend 1ml for each liter of water.
    • BrightWell Catalyst = We recommend 1ml for each gallon of water.
    Then there is also the debate about how much pellets for Softies, LPS and SPS. Well, starting with our above recommended dosage, you will be able to keep most corals. As the need arises you can add more pellets.

Feeding:

In some cases we have seen corals Bleach due to the pellets removing ALL the nutrients. Feeding becomes extremely important when using NP Pellets. ALL corals and fish eat FOOD in the ocean. So let’s give them a well planned diet of food.

But also be careful....., it is very important that you find the correct balance of feeding as overfeeding can cause major problems not even the NP Pellets can resolve.

Our conclusion:

Starting up a tank with NP Pellets provides the BEST results!:thumbup: It is easy to set a big ship in the right direction, but sometimes very difficult to turn a ship going in the wrong direction around. We have seen very good results with pellets added to established systems, but the KEY is patients. It usually takes twice as long for the pellets to deliver results.

The Pellet route is definatly one that Dorry Pets will recommend to ANY new and existing reefer. Although more expensive than say a DSB, it require far less space and has the added benefit of removing phosphates as well. Using the NP Pellets with the correct reactor, flow pump and skimmer offers very little maintenance. You would only need to top-up the pellets every 4 – 6 months.

I hope you all find the thread very useful and please shout if you have any more question as I might have left something out….:biggrin::biggrin:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sentari

Sentari

Thanks for this info Dewald.

Please let me know if you will be having a special with reactor + NP Pellets.

I'm currently using Microbelift Special Blend and once i can see my nutrients lowered i will be changing to NP Pellets.

4. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry Thread Starter

I will keep you infomred!! There might be something in the pipeline:tt2::tt2:

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

@Tiger

can you offer us some of the following info:

species kept in the tank?
    amount of species kept in the tank?
    LR and amount?
    obviously no DSB?

what did you base your findings on?
    coral coloration?
    water parameters? if so please provide some feedback as to what the readings were..

power outages? and a contingency plan for if one should happen?
    6 months seems a little short to derive conclusive answers and especially on a method where there is no controll tank to measure against.

i have seen alot of tanks run well irrespective of the method chosen in the early months of their existance its the longterm result im interested in..

remember alot of people will buy into an easy and new concept that is "working" and it is important to advise newbies that this is an advanced method of filtration that does have drawbacks..

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

How about some pics of these systems on this thread Tiger?

7. FransSny

FransSny

+ 1 On what Les said.

Reading the other forums on the net, there is a lot of contradicting results and observation regarding how effective the product actually is.

What we do know is that bacteria dosing dose work , yes there are still a lot of debate regarding which brand , species etc.

We do know carbon dosing assists bacteria in the process, once again a lot of discussion regarding which carbon source is better.

I feel that purely saying a tank "looks" better , is not a very scientific way of assessing the viability of a product. Each setup is different and thus results WILL vary according to the various factors involved.

The ONLY way of adressing this IMHO is to have both a trail setup (using N & P) AS WELL AS a control setup running with exactly the same variables sush as stocking , feeding parameters etc.

If you dont have this , and actually document the findings, then it is more PERSONAL opinion and not FACT and then you tread the dangerous line of your "observations / findings" becoming a marketing pitch :p

My 2 C

8. rakabos

rakabos

Good info, thx for sharing. Flow rates of the pumps used in the reactors and actual size of the reactor plz?

9. Tony

Tony

Nice infor there and thanks. I would like to add one or two things. I think the pellets need to be added slowly like one would do with zeolites to slowly reduce nutrients to avoid shocking the system. A lot of guys just chuck in a bag or two and wonder why their corals bleach. If you start out with low nutrients then it's ok to go with a large dose of pellets.

I'm using a Bubble magus fluidised filter with the sponges and I havent had any issues with the sponges blocking but my reactor has only been running for a few days now with the pellets. The reactor does tumble the pellets around nicely though. I like Reef octopus and use a lot of their equipement but the prices on those reactors are crazy

10. Evo R

Evo R

Tagging along for more info on this.

11. Dewald@Dorry

Very good questions Leslie!!

Remember that the tank only running on NP Pellets are 6 months old, but we have experimented with NP Pellets since it was launched in SA. The big SPS system in our shop has been running NP Pellets for around 8 months together with a DSB and some of our maintenance clients have been running NP Pellets for just over 9 months.. Yes it might not be enough time to determine long term results but from what we have seen so far, the longer the NP Pellets run the better the results.

The display tank running on NP Pellets only contains plenty of softies like mushrooms, leathers and Zoa’s. Also plenty of LPS’s like Torch corals, candy Canes, frogs and octopus corals. We also have clams in the system and monti’s and one SPS (Birdsnest)

We have a total of 30kg’s Fiji Rock in the system.

We based our findings on the following:

· Coral growth – Coral growth were good especially with zoa’s and mushrooms. Even the alverapora grew two new heads.
    · Water Parameters –pH 8.2, KH 6.8, Phosphate 0, Nitrate 1-5, Salinity 1.026, Temp 25, Calcium 390, Magnesium 1290
    · Coral Coloration and Expansion – Some of the leathers started bleaching, but we then started feeding and all the colors looks GOOD now.
    · Coral Health – Exceptional Coral health. All corals are fully expanded

We had instances at our shop where the power was off for more than 8 hours, with NO obvious bacteria die-off. So it looks like the bacteria can live long without flow. It is always safe to add a CPU on the pomp of the reactor.

12. Sentari

Sentari

And livestock?

13. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

This is interesting that you say this, as I have an email from the manufacturer themselves, stating that you need no reactor, and that you can even use the stocking method.

But then again, the guy also said that the by end product produced by bacteria is nitrogen and water?!?!?!?!?!:whistling:

I disaggree here a bit. Depending on the bioload being placed on the tank, I would rather start up a tank with Microbelift Special Blend, Prodibio or Brightwells Micorbacter etc. I think starting up with a good dose of live bacteria is much better, then you can convert to NP Pellets.

NP Pellets is nothing more than food and surface area of bacterial growth, it is not bacteria... so running both at startup would show much better results, unless you run a very low nutrient / bioload setup.

I agree, that it does take up less space, but there is a bit more to DSB vs. Reactor than this. A reactor can and will not give you even a % of micro fauna life like a DSB / refugium would. Secondly, a reactor cannot "manufacture" oxygen, in fact due to the amount of bacteria in them, they will rather deplete oxygen levels. A DSB with some macro algae on the other hand, constantly supplies the tank and inmates with O2. If you have fish like dragonettes, gobies, seahorses etc. then a DSB will serve you much better than a reactor would, as the DSB will supply the tank with a constant suppy of pods and micro fauna. This can only be compensated by adding huge volumes of live rock to the system, or an in tank DSB.

So all in all, it boils down to the following again; what are your stocking and sytem requirements. That the NP Pellets do work on the systems you have, is a fact!! Your tanks do look very nice and clean!!! :thumbup:

I personally tried it, and my water go so milky that I could not see the back side. Dosed Special Blend and withing 48 hours water was clear. I must admit that yes, I most likely applied the NP Pellets wrong.

The product is good, no doubt, and everyone that wants to run the stuff can do so, many people have great success with it, I just think you should just carefully consider where you going with your setup, what space you have available, and what your budget allows you to do.

Thanks Dewald!!!

14. Dewald@Dorry

Livestock (fish and inverts)

x2 Picaso Clowns
    x2 Bangais
    x1 Small Sohal tang
    x1 Fairy Warsse
    x1 Smiths Blenny
    x1 Jumping Bean
    x4 Cleaner Shrimps
    x4 Hemrit crabs
    x3 Turbo snails

Adding more fish as we go along

Last edited: 23 May 2011
  15. Tony

Tony

Any corals that are dependant on low nutrients

16. Tremayn

Tremayn

Thanks Tiger! Finally some results lol... It would of been really nice if you made a thread for the experimental tank and updated it with pics and stuff :whistling:

17. Tony

Tony

Like mentioned earlier, what effect does a power outage have on the pellets?

18. Dewald@Dorry

I dont believe everything the manufacturer claims. That is why we tested it our selves.

Yes I agree. I think you misunderstood me... It is very good to add bacteria to start-up a tank. What I am saying is: Starting up a tank with NP Pellets provides better results than trying to turn a problematic tank around at a later stage using NP Pellets. Prevention is better than cure..

I Agree once again. Remember that each denitration method has its own pro's and cons. You hightlighted the pro's of running a DSB. This is a interesting thread in a different discussion.. What i'm trying to hightlight is the fact that NP Pellets does work if used correctly. Not that it is Better than any other denitration method.

19. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

This picture was taken a month ago

Sorry for the poor quality....most of the stock added to the system is stock that got hurt in transport

This sytem is the mixed reef...so less pellets is used...otherwise it will strip to much nutrients
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here with the filter...you can see we used a N/P pellet reactor instead of the DSB.....look at the space one can safe
    [​IMG]

20. Dewald@Dorry

We will post pics of the tank shortly!

21. Dewald@Dorry

Ooo crap!!:blush:

Recent Posts