Marks New 6ft Tank

Discussion in 'Large Tanks' started by Kunhardt, 19 Aug 2009.

1. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Well its 9 months down the line and my current tank is full and getting cramped. So that means time for a new tank!! Hopefully this one will last for years to come :)

Anyway Leslie has had a stand, and glass sitting in his garage for ages taking up space and has finally convinced my to take it off his hands. Leslie of course will be doing the building of the tank, the talented tank builder that he is.

Some info.Tank is going to be 1800x500x500 giving me a display volume of 450L, and will be made out of 10mm glass and done in black silicone. I want to go bigger but not so big that it takes up all my time and it becomes a job not a hobby. 450L therefore seems a fair compromise.

The sump we are still discussing, there is a 1800x350x350 sump already made which I can use but am unsure if its going to meet all my needs. I am wanting to have a first chamber big enough to house a TS4, nice size refugium which will then go onto a big DSB, I recently read its best for the DSB to be 10% of total water volume in weight, so need to look at a DSB that will accomodate 65kg of sand. a built in RO resevoir is also a must plus my return chamber. I would like to have an algae scrubber plumbed in over the refugium as well. Any help and info on the sump will be appreciated. :)

I am undecided as what to do about my lighting. I currently have a 8x39w T5 unit which I would like to keep, but obviously this will be too small for this size tank. So am thinking of maybe building a canopy to house the unit centrally and fitting a MH on either side of it. Not sure if this will work or what it will look like. Any suggestions?

I still want to have a mixed reef, but mainly focusing on LPS with some SPS taking up the upper portion of the tank and softies to full the gaps. So flow will have to be worked out accordingly...need to try and work it that I have dedicated high flow and low flow areas of the tank for the desired corals. Flow will be by My current Seio's and some added Sunsuns, there was talk of CLS, but I think we scrapped it :p

Think thats it for now, I am sure Leslie will post lots of pics as the project moves ahead.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Annoying

Annoying

Congrats some pics when you're finished huh:whistling:...

I'm sure there will be no problem with the mh lights on the side... Maybe you can put the sps on the sides then, there will be good lighting.

4. H0nda42

H0nda42

Hey Kunhardt, thats sounds like an awesome tank. Can't wait to see progress. I have seen your last thread and that is a great setup. So good luck.
    Post plenty pics.
    Cheers

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

its gonna be nice mark, i have always backed you as a reefkeeper even before you knew you were one :) you just have that attention to detail that makes success inevitable..

im pretty keen as always to build a tank to further my studies of the art of black silicone tank building, its NOT as easy as it looks and is VERY messy compared to clear silicone.

as for the sump its 1.800 x .420 x .350 and fits perfectly in the lower shelf of the stand. im sure it will acomodate your needs. on the DSB containing 65kg commentto give you an example 35kg fine aragonite will do roughly 1 1/2 - 2 inches deep in a tank 1.5 x .600. so unless we plumb that pool of yours in the mix we gonna be tight for space :)

pictures will follow as soon as the glass returns from the glazer from being cut down to size.

6. Prodigy

Prodigy

Hey Boet sounds like it gonna be a cracker!!!!
    When you wanting to start the cycle going bud so we knw when to expect some pics;)

Good Luck dude
    cheers

7. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Sounds awesome...so good luck...just dont forget to post plenty pics...

8. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Ya, I'm hoping it will be ok, only real concern is that it doesnt give off a weird lighting look in the tank...will maybe need to do a test run :p

Thanks Honda, hopefully bigger and better hopefully :whistling:
    Good luck with your new tank too btw! :thumbup:

Thanks Riyad, hehe its going to be up to Les to post pics for a while. :razz:

9. keyaam

keyaam

The upgrade is great news Kunhardt. I wish you all the best with this build.

10. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Thanks again Les for doign this, I know you gonna make it Awsome!!! :thumbup:

Cool so sump is actually a bit wider than I thought, thats nice to know so it will give me roughly 265L. LOL I was thinking about that 10% tank volume DSB weight myself this evening while watching Tv and though "Thats actually a crap load of sand". So may be it works in theory but will have to down scale it a bit in practice. DSB and Refugium are my main concerns in the sump and like we were talking about last night enough depth to hold fish if the need arises. I am in your capable hands though and I know you have years of practice :)

Ps. Don't bring my pool into this, you know thats a sore point! :razz::razz:

11. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Thanks Keyaam, lets just hope I can handle a bigger tank :p

Shot Grant! Don't know when its going to be up for fulling, like I was saying to Leslie I would rather it be ready in 6 months and know everything is 100% than have it ready in 6 weeks and its not. Hehe as for cycling...hmmm gonna see what can do to get around that one :whistling:

12. Dale6

Dale6

haha best of luck mark will b watchin this thread closely:thumbup:

13. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Thanks Dale, will keep u posted if I sell anything that you need :)

14. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

nice tank size, if the previous tank looks that good i cant wait to see this one :)

going to do a straight transfer?

a suggestion for the lights would be to use your 8 t5's and stagger them from each side, 4 left and 4 right, then in the middle use a MH, and 20cm above the water with 32deg light angle should give you great coverage providing good light etc

15. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Thanks Dallas!

I am not sure what I am going to do with my livestock to be honest, I will need the liverock etc for the new tank...Leslie has offered to keep my fish in his sump and my corals in his tank scared he wont give them back though :lol:

Problem with the lights is that they are in a unit so i cant stagger them, I know that would be ideal with the MH in the middle...sigh! :1hmm:

16. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

This is going to be a great tank !! Congrats !

Leslie,

would it be possible to make this topic into a thread in the DIY section, covering the silicone used and the methods you emply to build with black silicone..... I for one am very very interested in this dark art, i feel i have mastered the art of clear silicone tank building and now want to try it with black silicone

17. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

hey kunhardt..sounds awesome man:thumbup: i saw that tank in leslies garage before he broke it down.its going to look kiff in black silicone dude...les has build my sump in black and looks awesome! you must be stoked! and you know when les builds your tank...its going to be awesome;)
    good luck dude and im shure ill be seeing it in les garage sometime.
    cheers:)

18. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Thanks Neil!

Thanks Clinton. Ya saw your sump on Tuesday when I was there, it looks hectic, you basically have all the compartments I am looking for in my sump as well. :thumbup:

19. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

Thanks Clinton. Ya saw your sump on Tuesday when I was there, it looks hectic, you basically have all the compartments I am looking for in my sump as well. :thumbup:[/quote]

you could do it with your new sump cant you? [same concept]

20. Andreas

Andreas

Nice size tank.Will follow this build closely:)

21. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Ya I think so, only difference is I want a much bigger refugium than what you have on yours...Got to keep my Mandarin happy, plus would like to get him a mail order bride on day :p

Thanks Andreas, ya I think the size is decent enough, not overly big but still giving me enough space to keep larger fish :thumbup:

Recent Posts