Marcel is back online

I think I should open a new thread regarding my previous 5.500 l tank I had in Germany. Got quite a few pictures.
Yes please, pictures from when the tank was being built right up to when it was in it's prime :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Dean, I didn´t know you are so bored. Let me think a while, I am sure I have plenty of suggestions to keep you busy. ;)

It is warm right now, I would suggest, we have a :peroni: or :peroni::peroni: or :peroni::peroni::peroni:
You're limited to 1 suggestion a month and you've already made 4 so that's you finished for the next 4 months :tt2: :lol:

Angels? Slowly my brother. I wrote I want to, but it does not mean I can do it.
First I have to get damsels in high quantity, then the mandarins and then the flame angel. It is all about food. Going to fetch my stereo microscope today and then I will see, what small critters I can isolate and grow in quantity.

Please go do that!!!! :biggrin: I'll place my order for Flame Angels now. At least I know I'm first in line when you get it right :whistling: Best of luck ..... Jokes, I'm just amazed that someone is actually getting it right more than wrong :thumbup:

at the ECMAA meeting on saturday, marine ornamental researcher Nial(forgot his surname) said that we are waaaay behind in "technology" to be able to feed angel and tang fry. he said you would probably need an olympic pool FULL of pods to feed to the babies.

at the ECMAA meeting on saturday, marine ornamental researcher Nial(forgot his surname) said that we are waaaay behind in "technology" to be able to feed angel and tang fry. he said you would probably need an olympic pool FULL of pods to feed to the babies.

Neil Stallard?

I disagree here. I don't need an olympic pool full of rotifer to feed my clown fry.
I need the right sized critter, with the right movement, the right nutrition value (i can boost the value if needed) and it has to be easy to digest. And it has to be easy to grow in high quantity. Rotifer, by the way, is difficult to digest. Copepods are much easier to digest and much faster. Faster means, the fry can eat much more and can grow quicker. The algae we use normally, nannochloropsis is difficult to digest for rotifer and the nutrtion value of nanno is actually poor.
The plan is to make as much money as i can with my albinos, so i musnt worry about my financials anymore and then i have to put my head into the water to find the right prey for freespawners.

no, he didnt say you need the pool full of rotifer for clowns. he said for angel and tangs. any guy with enough time can breed a pair of clowns.

the food for angels and tangs is to small and it is nearly impossible to provide enough food (think about green water and the density you need for clowns)

no, he didnt say you need the pool full of rotifer for clowns. he said for angel and tangs. any guy with enough time can breed a pair of clowns.

the food for angels and tangs is to small and it is nearly impossible to provide enough food (think about green water and the density you need for clowns)

You didnt get it. What I meant was, we dont need a pool of rotifers for clowns and we dont need a pool of other plankton for angels and tangs. We need plankton like rotifer for angels and tangs. Easy to grow and in high quantity, but much smaller. I reckon, we need a food size 20 micron, at a later stage a food size 50 micron and a food size 80 to 90 micron. Then we carry on with rotifer and later with brines.

yes nial vine!

i dont know marcel, all i know is that is what the Doctor said.

Slummies - how many successful batches of fish have Nial Vine bred? Do you have any sources showing the Nial Vina actually knows his stuff regarding breeding marine ornamental fish? Sorry - the name is just vaguely familiar to me. But, I don't subscribe to people who just talk-the-talk - they must have walked the walk as well..... As I always say - the proof is in the "pudding" mate!

Slummies - how many successful batches of fish have Nial Vine bred? Do you have any sources showing the Nial Vina actually knows his stuff regarding breeding marine ornamental fish? Sorry - the name is just vaguely familiar to me. But, I don't subscribe to people who just talk-the-talk - they must have walked the walk as well..... As I always say - the proof is in the "pudding" mate!

Dr. Niall Vine is working at a Kob farm in East London. He studied breeding of marine ornamental fish at the Rhodes University, together with Ernst Thompson, also a marine biologist.
I know both personally and I can say, he knows his stuff.
Still, I don´t agree with Niall. He got his own opinion about things and it will take a lot to let him change his opinion. Ernst is a totally other character. He is open for everything, very helpful and in my opinion more a scientist and researcher, than Niall.
All the people, who where involved in the marine ornamental breeding procedure, doing now food fish, because there where the money is.

So nobody does any research about marine ornamentals in SA since Rhodes closed their hatchery in 2004.

Many thanks for the explanation, Marcel. It's just that I have personally never seen any of his work, neither seen any books he has published. As I said - I am an extreme believer in "I believe what I see" and "I ONLY believe if someone can show proof of what they have done".....

Many thanks for the explanation, Marcel. It's just that I have personally never seen any of his work, neither seen any books he has published. As I said - I am an extreme believer in "I believe what I see" and "I ONLY believe if someone can show proof of what they have done".....

Fully agreed. I am also a person like that. If everybody tells me, this and that does not work, I proof it myself.
The result will be, I am better or I have to admit, the others where right.

For the proof of having experience with big tanks, here is the link. I will post more pictures at a later stage.

Marcel´s old tank in Germany - Supersized Tanks

Last edited:
Exactly Marcel. I too will give in, and admit I was wrong, once I was proven wrong. I NEED to be proven wrong before I believe anything else than what I already believe in.

I am amazed at the tank you kept in Germany! WOW!

have you had a look at the link this guys have been breeding sum of the rarest and difficult angels there are

have you had a look at the link this guys have been breeding sum of the rarest and difficult angels there are

I know that website. Believe me, I know almost every website in terms of breeding.
But thanks for the link.

Last edited:
OK firs things first.
Porsche,BMW,AUDI,BENZ,Volkswagen need i go on.
I think most things that come out of Germany are exiting, well built and are loved by all.
So it seems that you brought us a bit of German excellence and hard headedness.
Never to quit when confronted with a challenge.
Yes, there is no other forum to be on, the guys here love helping and hardly ever step on toes or have words.
You have opened a new field here in SA that we know very Little about.
I would love to know how to bread live food for the filter feeders and so in my system.Read about it a book the other day and thought it would do setup a world of good if i can feed them something good. Pity you stay so far. I would love to know the ins and outs of green water , rottifiers ex,
Its great to have you on the forum, and a think it will not be long be for you are a household name in most aquarists homes.
Would love to see more pics of the breading setup and how it works.
I think we can all benefit from your knowledge and i think you can also benefit from being in this community. It helps to have people supporting you when in a foreign country.
And this is the best place to be.
Just can not weight to read more on what you have to say.
Don't be shy with the pics.
I think you might be a next legend in SA.
O Jes,my grand parents are from Germany.

OK firs things first.
Porsche,BMW,AUDI,BENZ,Volkswagen need i go on.
I think most things that come out of Germany are exiting, well built and are loved by all.
So it seems that you brought us a bit of German excellence and hard headedness.
Never to quit when confronted with a challenge.
Yes, there is no other forum to be on, the guys here love helping and hardly ever step on toes or have words.
You have opened a new field here in SA that we know very Little about.
I would love to know how to bread live food for the filter feeders and so in my system.Read about it a book the other day and thought it would do setup a world of good if i can feed them something good. Pity you stay so far. I would love to know the ins and outs of green water , rottifiers ex,
Its great to have you on the forum, and a think it will not be long be for you are a household name in most aquarists homes.
Would love to see more pics of the breading setup and how it works.
I think we can all benefit from your knowledge and i think you can also benefit from being in this community. It helps to have people supporting you when in a foreign country.
And this is the best place to be.
Just can not weight to read more on what you have to say.
Don't be shy with the pics.
I think you might be a next legend in SA.
O Jes,my grand parents are from Germany.

Thank you very for these kind words.
But please, I am a stink normal guy. And I was just lucky to have the albino strain.
Okay, there are not many people who raise clowns with above 90% survival rate.
Even at Rhodes, they did not have such good results. Which makes me kind of proud. I just try my best and sometimes it is not good enough. Hopefully I will get the commercial hatchery running by the beginning of next year.
And hopefully you will be right with your forecast for my future here in SA.
If you will be right, that means, I reached my targets. And yes, it is good to have support. Pity that I can´t share all my knowledge about breeding, I will need a few secrets for myself to be successful. I try to answer all your questions and will see, to start a thread in the new MASA breeding fish section.
Thanks to the bored VIPER ;) for making this section possible over night.
Dean, you put me under pressure right now. You know that, hey?

Back
Top Bottom