Kalk in ATO

1290 when I tested last night. Do add 5 spoons of Mg every day as well

Kh is sitting at 7 now and Ca 340.
This is with the Kalk running for a week now.

Last edited:
Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium
Seachem Reef advantage Magnesium

Should I stir the kalk in the ato now and then?

well that happens when ca/mg and kh are out of alignment. Here are a few good articles explaining things.
Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
Chemistry And The Aquarium: Solving Calcium And Alkalinity Problems Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

The second article is more pertinent to your situation. Very well written and easy to determine which zone you fall in to.

When i had this problem, i determined it was the salt i was using that was not so good. changed to a better salt and never looked back. Your problem could be different though.

Last edited:
If you are spending around R2k per month on supplements, then buy a calcium reactor...some in the for sale section.

Just make sure when you use a calcium reactor you have a reliable way of feeding the calcium reactor to get a constant drip rate...

Kalk is very good but i wiped out my whole tank due to ato pump getting stuck in the on position and the rest was history...

A calcium reactor is the way to go imho, just needs a bit of your time in the beginning to setup and find the sweetspot.After that, kh and ca problems will be a thing of the past.

Back
Top Bottom