Gerrit's New Tank

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I’ll start posting photos as I progress with the new tank. The planning actually started in 2005 when we designed our new house. The tank is going to be installed into the wall of the living room with the engine room at the back.

IMG012.jpg

IMG011.jpg

The stand was build by my dad and I out of 40 x 200 laminated beams:

IMG001.jpg

With its top on:

IMG006.jpg

The room has got an extractor fan and two ventilation louvers (one in the wall and one in the door):

IMG009.jpg

IMG008.jpg

Oh Boy this is going to be awesome !!!!!!!!!

Keep them pics coming ;)

One problem I can see already.... The couch is facing the wrong way.. :lol:

THis is going to be a stunner

Nice woodwork there too Gerrit

wish my tank was an in wall!!
gonna be great, keep the pics coming.
cant wait to see the procress of this tank

Except for not having an actual tank or any water it's looking pretty good so far ;)

Definitely going to be following this one, looking good.

I love the decor and the room so far.. neat work.. I say 'woah' this will look good, nice to see some forward planning..

Muz

Thanks for all the nice comments. The tank is on order and should be delivered in about two weeks time. In the meantime I still need to do alot of prep work to the stand.

The tank design looks like this:

Aquarium.jpg

Gerrit

Very nice Gerrit. At 800 deep are you planning a dsb. Look forward to updates

I've said this before and I'll say it again... a setup with good planning upfront can only turn into an awesome piece of work....can't wait for this one.

The couch is facing the wrong way.. :lol:

Hehe...yip.

I see you have not drilled a hole in the bottom of the tank, so I assume with drilling the back panel one will be to syphon down to the sump and the other for the return.. am I missing something with this tank design?

Have you designed the sump?

Are you going to have 2 x MH or 3? I just ask cos of the positioning of the top braces.

Muz

Muz, yes I'm going to make use of 2 sumps. The one is going to host the macro algea and the DSB while the other is going to be an all Tunze system. Sump 1 will be fed by 2 Tunze outlets (holes is back of tank). Not on the drawing is 2 holes in the side braces for the return from 2 pumps.

SumpDesign.jpg

I'm going to use my current Arcadia pendant which consists of 3 x 250W MH and 2 x 58W actinics.

Wow Gerrit this has the makings of an awesome set up. I love the look of that wall.
By the way you can pick up the salt tomorrow from my supplier if it is convenient for you. Look forward to following the progress of this one.

Going to be awesome. The stand looks pretty strong. I went with 2 x 10mm bracing down the front and the back as well. Decided to take this approach rather than have centre braces. I HAAAATTTTE centre braces.

hope u r going to treat the wood, it's going to get some water. setup looks awesome, going to b a gr8 tank

Wow Gerrit this has the makings of an awesome set up. I love the look of that wall.
By the way you can pick up the salt tomorrow from my supplier if it is convenient for you. Look forward to following the progress of this one.

Thanks Andrew, I'll go and collect today.

Tom, no, I'm making use of two Tunze outlets.

Ed, yes for sure I'll treat the wood. That is this weekends job.

Gerrit

I dont mean to pick but I don't understand your 1st sump, water comes down.. under, then up.. the 275 piece of glass is there to contain the sand, I dont get the eggcrate and I don't see flow over the whole DSB, there is going to be a big stagnent area on the right of the DSB, unless you either make a chamber on the right after the DSB or lower the outlet pipe..

What do you mean by tunze system?

Skimmer?

Muz

I dont mean to pick but I don't understand your 1st sump, water comes down.. under, then up.. the 275 piece of glass is there to contain the sand, I dont get the eggcrate and I don't see flow over the whole DSB, there is going to be a big stagnent area on the right of the DSB, unless you either make a chamber on the right after the DSB or lower the outlet pipe..

What do you mean by tunze system?

Skimmer?

Muz

Muz, no problem. Any comments to make it better is appreciated. The eggrate is there to keep the macro algea and DSB apart. I need the outlet pipe that high to create an overflow to the next sump. I can see your point of the stagnent area. Don't you think there be enough water movement around that area?

Regarding the Tunze System, it contains everthing from skimmer, calcium reactor, biological filtration, water lever control etc.

Gerrit

Back
Top Bottom