Garlic the truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
her are some of the foods that use garlic in there foods now is garlic good or bad ? i have been looking on diffrent web sites and forums but one person will say its good and one will say its bad hrer are the Ingredients for one fish food
  Shrimp, Euphasia pacifica plankton, sardine, wheat flour, squid, fish eggs, soya-lecithin, Spirulina, salmon oil, garlic, minerals (potassium iodide, iron oxide, manganese sulfate, magnesium oxide, zinc sulfate), MPAXTM (Marine Protein Amino eXtract: fish meals, hydrolysates, select amino acids (L-Lysine, DL-Methionine, L-Trytophan)), vitamins (ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), Vitamin B12, nicotinic acid, riboflavin (vitamin B2), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), tocopherol acetate (vitamin E), Betaine, calcium propionate, potassium sorbate, ethoxyquin, carotenoid pigments (astaxanthin, canthaxantin), yeast (Beta-glucan).
this is what new life spectrum said

The subject of using garlic in fish food seems to come up quite often, with some hobbyists suggesting that
the main reason that fish food manufacturers use this ingredient is strictly to enhance palatability of the food.
In many cases this may be true, but with NLS foods, particularly the TherA formula, the reason for such a large inclusion rate is due to garlics anti-parasitic qualities. When used in larger quantities, this raw ingredient can be expensive, hence the reason why most manufacturers skimp on the amount of garlic that they use.
This is not the case with New Life Spectrum foods.

Also, during times of stress or illness a fishes immune system is weakened, and the TherA will also help boost the immune system due to its higher rate of highly digestible protein & fat.

All New Life Spectrum® products also contain a generous inclusion rate of Garlic (Allium Sativum) with the Thera-A formulas containing a mega-dose of this natural anti-parasitic ingredient.also here is what some one said on a forum No garlilc doesn't help. It can cause lesions in the heart and liver of the fish. and some one else
__________________Garlic will have an adverse effect on the blood of fish within a week (and there is no evidence that it cures white spot or is an immunostimulant). i have also emailed Ocean nutrition and New life spectrum to see what they think but what do you think?????????????????????????????????????:yeahdude:

Simple fact, garlic kills marine fish, only after one week the liver is damaged beyond repair, simple, don't use it, garlic flavoured food may help finicky fish to eat, but it doesn't alter the fact that garlic kills our fish - this is from scientific evidence, links can be found if proof required.

here is the email i got back from new life spectrumGarlic ward off vampire, prevent cold...just kidding. Neverheard of such nonsense. Could you please give the the links to the forums?Tell this to the Italian!The info you got was absolutely false. try again on my forum, we have notencountered this problem(unable to ask question) before. Have you read mynutrition article? It might be worth reading to separate the myths fromfacts.This is the link: http://nlsfishfood.com/index.php?option=co...=63"Garlic is another key ingredient in quality foods, and when the correctinclusion rate is used, this single ingredient can play a major role in thelong-term health of your fish. While a manufacturer may use this ingredient to enhance the overallpalatability of their food, its main purpose in a high quality food will befor its anti-parasitic properties. I have personally been using garlic in myfarm feed for the past 15 years, and while I have never set up a controlledstudy to chart the exact cause and effects of this single ingredient, I havenoticed a drastic drop in disease in my ponds since implementing garlic inall of my feed. Since adding garlic, I have not had a single case of"Florida Deep Well Disease" (disease caused by pathogenic bacteria Aeromonassp. and Psuedomonas sp.) in any of my ponds, vats, or aquariums. Over the years there have been a number of studies involving the use ofgarlic in fish food and the anecdotal evidence with regards to feeding fishallicin complex (the active ingredient in garlic) to rid them of parasitesalways appeared to be quite strong. As of 2006 there is now some recentscience to back these earlier claims up, with one of the largest in-depthstudies to date. In this particular study the inclusion of garlic at a rateof 3% was shown to increase the overall digestibility of protein,carbohydrates, and fat, as well as to lower the total bacteria count withinthe intestine, muscles, and water column. It was also found to enhance fishtolerance to environmental stress". Pablo :nono:

I must of missed something, is this a bash thread or is there some point behind all this?

I must of missed something, is this a bash thread or is there some point behind all this?

The point is, garlic is supposed to be a miracle cure, it is in fact a death sentence, read the links...

The point is, garlic is supposed to be a miracle cure, it is in fact a death sentence, read the links...

bash thread it is... And just for referance sake i feed my marines with Garlic in all my tanks. Fish ive had for over a year and are still healthy. But im not here to argue just state my own experience with it.

bash thread it is...

No it isn't, it is simply providing proof that garlic is dangerous to marine fish, no person is being bashed, it is disproving a myth that has been touted around in our hobby for a considerable time. do you find it "bashing" when new information is proven?

Mike I read the article before and don't recall it saying it is deadly to fish, sorry I'm lazy, dont feel like reading it again. My Naso lost alot of weight in the space of a week a few months back. Stayed like that for about a month until I started with fresh garlic and she put all her weight back on within 2 weeks. Not sure if that coincidence but I'm sure the garlic played a role.

It has to be fresh though as allicin is unstable and probably has only tiny amounts in dry foods.

Please post a link about liver damage.
Thanks

gaboon don't take it personally this is why there are Forums, to bitch and moan @ each other ;)

Mike my man, while the article by Steven Pro you suggested we read was not a ringing endorsement of the use of garlic, it hardly slammed its use either. It just knocked the scientific basis of the so called experiments and anecdotal evidence of its advocates (it was actually quite nice anecdotal stuff).

He doesn't provide any evidence against its use.

Give us a decent link for you unhappiness with the careful use of garlic in foods etc.

Injection or ingestion of enough water apparently can kill a person(so could enough garlic probably), so of course overdosing can kill and /or damage organs etc.

I'm also not suggesting that garlic neccesarily does any good either.:) Just trying to fully understand your arguement.

Mike I read the article before and don't recall it saying it is deadly to fish, sorry I'm lazy, dont feel like reading it again. My Naso lost alot of weight in the space of a week a few months back. Stayed like that for about a month until I started with fresh garlic and she put all her weight back on within 2 weeks. Not sure if that coincidence but I'm sure the garlic played a role.

It has to be fresh though as allicin is unstable and probably has only tiny amounts in dry foods.

Please post a link about liver damage.
Thanks

Geez, is this aimed at me?

Yep, it was your lazy comment that spurred mine, don't take it personal:)

Mike my man, while the article by Steven Pro you suggested we read was not a ringing endorsement of the use of garlic, it hardly slammed its use either. It just knocked the scientific basis of the so called experiments and anecdotal evidence of its advocates (it was actually quite nice anecdotal stuff).

He doesn't provide any evidence against its use.

Give us a decent link for you unhappiness with the careful use of garlic in foods etc.

Injection or ingestion of enough water apparently can kill a person(so could enough garlic probably), so of course overdosing can kill and /or damage organs etc.

I'm also not suggesting that garlic neccesarily does any good either.:) Just trying to fully understand your arguement.

doin my best Bob, hit the linky, make up your own mind:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom