Dropped temps 4 deg on average without a chiller!

Reaction score
Hi Guys,I came home last Wednesday to see the temperatures above 30 deg and my corals sulking big time! Now a little background, I started a algae screen after reading Santamonica's thread on the scrubbers. I don't really test my water myself, I take a sample to Cybervic every now and then with everything testing normal except my nitrates which is usually around 20ppm, and left me with a BIG algae problem. OK, so the Algae is disappearing fast but this is not what this thread is about.;) I looked at the screen and saw the resemblance to a automotive radiator. After having pondered about evaporative cooling as a solution to my heat problems ever since starting marines I decided to fit a 240v server fan in my sump. I placed the fan at a angle to the side of the screen due to space issues, but I also found this way it maximizes surface exposure to the air from the fan. Guess what- my temps dropped from a average summer temperature of 29.8 deg to 25.6 over the past few days!:thumbup: I have to do huge top-ups now but it's not like it's a draw back. This scrubber and fan is still a prototype but I guess it's time to build a scrubber, cooling tower and auto top-up proto "wonder-machine" all in one!:yeahdude:

Will post pics later of this very crude system and my inside and outside temps when taken at the same time.

Yeah, I also thought of doing that with my new setup. Glad to hear it works as good as I'd hoped. I built the scrubber already and will use the fan the same way. With chiller prices skyrocketing I can rather do this easy mod and spend the R6000 on something else ;)

although toping up is a pain in the ass also!

i just keep the ac on in my lounge a few hours longer during the day...keeps my tank around 26 degrees at all times.

Unfortunately I don't have a a/c... I'm still renting and don't want to buy one for someone else.;)

ok thats true.maybe think of those portable ones with an exhaust that goes outside if the funds permit it?

but then again with the economic state right now you rather save and burn in the summer heat

My future in laws have one of those portable ones, not worth the $$$ if you don't live in a matchbox! :)

Last edited:
And best of all is that most a/c's and chillers are rated for a few Kw's of electricity usage, this concept uses only 22w, and accomplish basically the same results with a maximum 0.7 deg fluctuation this far!:thumbup:

Yip, don't buy an aircon, just sit on the other side of the algae scrubber, lovely cool sea breeze :p

I have connected a fan to blow across the water surface below my MH lighting hood and it dropped the temp by 4 degrees.The top up goes mad now but I dont mind as it is also dosing kalk at the same time:)

Seriously,just get a normal office desk fan from game and point it over your sump.Our temps here in zululand have been over 35 and as high as 39 for the entire week.My temp has not been higher than 28.5 yet .Cost R199.00.My auto top up does its job so im happy.
00020110.gif

Back
Top Bottom