Cyano smothering polyps

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have a 1.5m tank which as been running for a few weeks. I upgraded from a 3ft and added all the LR and water to the new setup and transferred all the livestock,rinsed all the sand. To help with the cycling i added stability. Of all the livestock i lost only a snail and a shrimp, rest is fine.

Now i have noticed on some of the smaller polyped zoas i have that cyano is smothering them to death. I need to replace the T5's i have as i am unsure how old they are, but they definitely not new. So that is one issue i know of. I have a Reef octopus 160x so thats fine. I run carbon in a filter and also purigen.

I have thus far tried pointing the powerheads for more flow onto the affected areas and not noticed much difference. I have used cotton buds to remove the cyano off the polyps where possible but sticking my hand in the tank every other day is not helping either with water stability. Apart from trying chemi-clean what else can you guys reccomend to help with this. Im not too fussed with cyano on the glass etc, but killing my coral is crossing the line

I have shortened it from 12hours on to 5hours yesterday so that should help. I was going to add an airstone when i got home, so on the right track then. Thx Robert

yip i had cyno about 8 months ago and i dropped my lighting to 3 hours a day and the airstone in the sump it took about a week and it was all gone, still has not come back yet hold thumbs , but i still put the airstone in the sump every other week for a day or two
the cyno was so bad that i lost some clove polyps to it

I hate that stuff, but hey what u gonna do lol. Will swop out the T5's this weekend hopefully and black out the tank for a while

I have also been battling some cyano/diatoms recently. Ever since I started dosing Microbelift Special Blend my cyano has been on the increase. But I also need to replace my T5's. Going to try some of these suggestions though!

I have also been battling some cyano/diatoms recently. Ever since I started dosing Microbelift Special Blend my cyano has been on the increase. But I also need to replace my T5's. Going to try some of these suggestions though!

Wont be special blend causing increase in cayno as SB is a mix of bacteria that will actually compete for nutrients with cayno....not fuel it :p

Wont be special blend causing increase in cayno as SB is a mix of bacteria that will actually compete for nutrients with cayno....not fuel it :p

I agree! Just doesn't seem to be out-competing it at the moment. But I'm still in the innoculation phase so there's still hope!

Adding more bacteria will only fuel cyano as cyano is a bacteria not an alga. Vodka or carbon dosing also aggravates the problem as it feeds the cyano as it would beneficial bacteria

Back
Top Bottom