Cyano Psycho

Ta muchly - I think I am winning as it is even clearer this morning - I can often tell how much I have by how much floats up to the surface overnight - it clogs the overflow mesh and my water rises 3cm in the tank - last night, nothing.

Holding thumbs, toes and the odd ear or so...

Will post a pic to show what it looks like compared to last week.

I may be way off here but was there not a thread about Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt and it causing a problem. I am not sure if I remember correctly but there was a bad batch or something.

I also have a cayno problem since I changed my lights and changed from Reef Crystals to Tropic Marin Pro. I have since changed salt and the outbreak is slower than it was to overrun the tank but it is still there. In my case I think the sand bed in the DT is the problem.

Just some thoughts,

Ross

Hi Mnd,for what it's worth,I would add another m820, glad to hear you winning.

I may be way off here but was there not a thread about Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt and it causing a problem. I am not sure if I remember correctly but there was a bad batch or something.

I also have a cayno problem since I changed my lights and changed from Reef Crystals to Tropic Marin Pro. I have since changed salt and the outbreak is slower than it was to overrun the tank but it is still there. In my case I think the sand bed in the DT is the problem.

Just some thoughts,

Ross

Ross, I was using standard Tropic Marin salt and this started then, I moved to the Pro reef as I have been battling to keep Mg and Ca up.

I have seen threads with other brands causing Cyano, not the TM to be honest

Hi Mnd,for what it's worth,I would add another m820, glad to hear you winning.

Aslam, thanks for your thoughts - can you elaborate as to why I should add another pump?

I have 3 x SEIO m820 @ 3200l/hr and the Astro3000 at 2900l/hr with a 1m head and I work on my tank being 300l, so I figure I am at around 30X flow - I have a mix of softies, SPS and LPS so too much flow and my Goniopora, Hammer and Torch get upset with me, not to mention my mushies getting up and leaving home.

I am MORE than happy to invest in another pump or 2 - evem a bigger SEIO (m1100), just need to understand the logic?

M

Cool - looks like I am really winning - check out pics below and compare them with page 1 = massive difference, corals looking MUCH happier, me looking much happier

RHS of tank - note how much happier that Goniopora is

100_3119.jpg

LHS - much better, not so much Purple Peril - Fish are hungry though!

100_3120.jpg

Hammer and Torch much happier now

100_3121.jpg

And check thos Zoas and the Milli, WIDE open, although there are some bubbles still showing in this shot

100_3122.jpg

Aslam, thanks for your thoughts - can you elaborate as to why I should add another pump?

I have 3 x SEIO m820 @ 3200l/hr and the Astro3000 at 2900l/hr with a 1m head and I work on my tank being 300l, so I figure I am at around 30X flow - I have a mix of softies, SPS and LPS so too much flow and my Goniopora, Hammer and Torch get upset with me, not to mention my mushies getting up and leaving home.

I am MORE than happy to invest in another pump or 2 - even a bigger SEIO (m1100), just need to understand the logic?

M

Aslam - I was hoping you could elaborate on your thought about another pump - I want to make sure I cover all my bases..

Thanks

Marc

Hi Mark - This is the reasoning why I would think that you would need some more flow:
BUT - this is MY opinion only, hey.... does not mean you HAVE to do it....

I too struggled once with some cyano outbreaks, AND hair algae, AND bryopsis nuisance algae....

I have increased my water flow from 50 times turnover to 90 times turnover...
This, together with a huge change in skimmers, and running phosphate remover, and running an algae scrubber - made the HUGE difference I have in my tank today.

I never ever had any problems with cyano bacteria ever again.

I do indeed think that the 60000 litres per hour water turnover I have in my +-650 litres of display tank water volume, makes a HUGE HUGE HUGE difference.....

Hi Mark - This is the reasoning why I would think that you would need some more flow:
BUT - this is MY opinion only, hey.... does not mean you HAVE to do it....

I too struggled once with some cyano outbreaks, AND hair algae, AND bryopsis nuisance algae....

I have increased my water flow from 50 times turnover to 90 times turnover...
This, together with a huge change in skimmers, and running phosphate remover, and running an algae scrubber - made the HUGE difference I have in my tank today.

I never ever had any problems with cyano bacteria ever again.

I do indeed think that the 60000 litres per hour water turnover I have in my +-650 litres of display tank water volume, makes a HUGE HUGE HUGE difference.....

Are you running a mixed reef like I am with SPS, LPS and softies? Even at the flow rate I have I battle to find "slow spots" for my LPS as the Goniopora in particular does not like to be blown away

Thanks for your thoughts Jaques

M

Well, I think I finally won....

Will post a pic later, but suffice is to say I am grateful to you guys and the other forum for helping me through this - I was getting seriously despondant. Just to recap:

1) I did a 25% water change and upped my changes to 10% every week from 10% every 2 weeks
2) built a carbon reactor (will post pics as well) and change the media every 4 days during the outbreak
3) added 2 airstones to the sump - this really helps as the extra oxygenation forced the cyano to bubble, this makes it float up and out of the tank - into my filter sock
4) added a filter floss "sock" to the out pipe (will buy one from SIMS as soon as SARK shop is back up)
5) Dropped the photoperiod to 6-7 hours with white lights, left actinics on for their normal photoperiod
6) Vacuumed gravel and rocks of all visible cyano at every water change

I happen to have done a few other things that I do not believe are related

1) Changed from TM salt to TM Pro Reef
2) Am trying to up my alk
3) Slightly increased my salinity as I was at 1.024 and wanted to get up since I started with SPS.

And a few things I still want to do

1) Build an algae scrubber
2) possibly increase the flow as per jaquesb and aslam

Yes Marc - I am - BUT, at this stage, I have FAR more LPS and softies, that SPS. I only have 2 SPS at the moment. I am VERY slowly building up to enable me to go more and more SPS......
So far I have a very nice MONTIPORA and a monti digidata - and so far they are growing.....
So - we will see....

Yes Marc - I am - BUT, at this stage, I have FAR more LPS and softies, that SPS. I only have 2 SPS at the moment. I am VERY slowly building up to enable me to go more and more SPS......
So far I have a very nice MONTIPORA and a monti digidata - and so far they are growing.....
So - we will see....

Cool - I will look at upping flow

M

Hello Mnd,sorry to reply late.I have a standard 4ft tank with a 3ft sump.Around 300lt as well.Internal flow consist's of, 1 resun 15000waver,1 seio m1500,m820 and 2 m620's, return is 2000l pumping at 1.1m into the display.I just have a few zoa's.With all this flow,unfortunately,I still battle with cyno and hair algae.This is why I suggested you add another pump to eradicate dead spots.A long time ago,Warren advised me to add as much flow to get rid of dead spot's.With all the flow in my tank I have not managed to do this.Congrats on your tank,it seems you have finally sorted the nuisance algae issues.

Back
Top Bottom