Collectin coral

Reaction score
Hi guys. My family and I are planning a road trip to the Eastern Cape and I want I see if I can collect some corals for my tank. I know some info on what is illegal and legal to collect. I just have a few questions.

First of all in have no idea where the best place to collect is. I don't want to dive for the corals but I'm happy to snorkel. Are rock pools or the 'open ocean' the best place to find?

How will I transport them back safely? I live in Cape Town so how do I keep them safe for a long trip on the road. I heard and seen videos about urine cups being the best option. And what do I do right after I collect them? Straight into the shipping box or do I just keep them in a bucket with water and pack them at the accommodation? And how do you keep the temperature stable?

How will I take them off the rock that they are on without a lot of damage?

And also, what corals actually live on our coast in the Eastern Cape past East London?

Anyway, I will appreciate any answers so thanks in advance

What i did was to cut zoas of the rocks using a model knife (scalpel) about 2x2cm. i would then place them in a container with a airstone in for the duration of my visit by the coast. I also did a WC everyday on what i had collected

For my trip home i used a full 5L water bottle with the samples in.

Hi Tom

Pretty much nothing for a Tropical reef tank around East London from a coral point of view. You can collect fish in season.

Coral wise you can collect Zooanthus in the Transkei north of the Bashee River, south of that its too cold.

Hi Tom

Pretty much nothing for a Tropical reef tank around East London from a coral point of view. You can collect fish in season.

Coral wise you can collect Zooanthus in the Transkei north of the Bashee River, south of that its too cold.

Sorry lol. Forgot to say that we going to Transkei

Spring low tide take a walk on the rocks if you in the right area you will be standing on the Zoos. Not all rocks are good though, where you going?

Some times you get lucky and you can just pull a piece off that is growing on a protruding corner, other times you need to try break a bit of rock off.

You also usually damage some polyps and they will vrot in your bucket so don't go nuts and collect a whole lot or they will all be vrot by the time you get home. They mostly various shades of green in the Transkei anyway.

The bright green one does quiet well in a tank with good lighting.

KZN has more variety and better colour ones.

Southern KZN may be an option for me to go to but don’t think I have the time to go more than that

Spring low tide take a walk on the rocks if you in the right area you will be standing on the Zoos. Not all rocks are good though, where you going?

Not decided yet but will probably be in Transkei.

Can anyone recommend a place in the southern parts of KZN?

Does any have any pictures of what you have collected before in a similar area to where I’m going?

You also usually damage some polyps and they will vrot in your bucket so don't go nuts and collect a whole lot or they will all be vrot by the time you get home. They mostly various shades of green in the Transkei anyway .

This part is Key...
If some die, it could potentially kill everything else with it that you collected.
try collecting closer to the time you are leaving, this will give you greater chance of survival and less stress on the livestock...
Also collect plenty of NSW in separate bucket or water drum so you can do water changes if and when needed along the trip back home.

Everywhere down south I haven't seen much Zoas... so don't get disappointed :p Durban = Zoa heaven :D

Local zoas.

I do speak under correction but dont zoas fall under the Pennatulacea family Cnidarians? These are actually on the no collection list. But because it doesnt say Zoas we think its actually not illegal to take them.

IMG-20180204-WA0020.jpg
IMG-20180204-WA0017.jpg
IMG-20180204-WA0014.jpg
IMG-20180204-WA0013.jpg
IMG-20180204-WA0010.jpg
20180228_170442.jpg

Hopefully we get someone with either Marine Biology training behind them or someone who can 100% tell me whether the below is technically correct or if I am wrong. I am 99.9% sure I am right.

"I do speak under correction but dont zoas fall under the Pennatulacea family Cnidarians? These are actually on the no collection list. But because it doesnt say Zoas we think its actually not illegal to take them."

Local zoas.

I do speak under correction but dont zoas fall under the Pennatulacea family Cnidarians? These are actually on the no collection list. But because it doesnt say Zoas we think its actually not illegal to take them.

IMG-20180204-WA0020.jpg
IMG-20180204-WA0017.jpg
IMG-20180204-WA0014.jpg
IMG-20180204-WA0013.jpg
IMG-20180204-WA0010.jpg
20180228_170442.jpg

Those look amazing. Where about did you find them?

Zoas and Paly's are full up MOST places in the Kei. The best bet is to try not go to the touristy places. but find those hidden gems out there. quite a few backpackers near some epic places in the Kei

Back
Top Bottom