Collectin coral

Hopefully we get someone with either Marine Biology training behind them or someone who can 100% tell me whether the below is technically correct or if I am wrong. I am 99.9% sure I am right.

"I do speak under correction but dont zoas fall under the Pennatulacea family Cnidarians? These are actually on the no collection list. But because it doesnt say Zoas we think its actually not illegal to take them."

Zoa's can most certainly be collected.

Zoanthus is a genus of anthozoans in the family Zoanthidae.

(4) The following species may not be caught.

Common name Scientific name of species
or group
Hard corals Order Scleractinia
Sea fans Order Gorgonacea
Sea pens Order Pennatulacea
Sand dollars Echinodiscus spp.
Giant clams Tridacna spp.
Abalone Haliotis spp.
Rock lobsters Family Palinuridae
Seahorses and pipefish Family Syngnathidae
Coelacanth Latimeria chalumnae
Seventy four Polysteganus undulosus
Brindle bass Promicrops lanceolatus
Potato bass Epinephelus tukula
Natal wrasse Anchichoerops natalensis
Great white shark Charcarodon carcharias
Wreckfish Polyprion spp.
Hammerhead shark Sphyrna spp.
Marine mammals
(seals, dolphins and whales) Class Mammalia

http://www.nda.agric.za/doaDev/sideMenu/fisheries/21_HotIssues/April2010/MarineRecreationalActivityInformationBrochure/Pocket 6 panel 2016-17 EMBE.pdf

http://www.nda.agric.za/doaDev/side...RecreationalActivityInfoBrochure2010-2011.pdf

Last edited:
Zoa's can most certainly be collected.

Zoanthus is a genus of anthozoans in the family Zoanthidae.

(4) The following species may not be caught.

Common name Scientific name of species
or group
Hard corals Order Scleractinia
Sea fans Order Gorgonacea
Sea pens Order Pennatulacea
Sand dollars Echinodiscus spp.
Giant clams Tridacna spp.
Abalone Haliotis spp.
Rock lobsters Family Palinuridae
Seahorses and pipefish Family Syngnathidae
Coelacanth Latimeria chalumnae
Seventy four Polysteganus undulosus
Brindle bass Promicrops lanceolatus
Potato bass Epinephelus tukula
Natal wrasse Anchichoerops natalensis
Great white shark Charcarodon carcharias
Wreckfish Polyprion spp.
Hammerhead shark Sphyrna spp.
Marine mammals
(seals, dolphins and whales) Class Mammalia

http://www.nda.agric.za/doaDev/sideMenu/fisheries/21_HotIssues/April2010/MarineRecreationalActivityInformationBrochure/Pocket 6 panel 2016-17 EMBE.pdf

http://www.nda.agric.za/doaDev/side...RecreationalActivityInfoBrochure2010-2011.pdf

Thanks for the info. Good to know what we can collect

I am planning a trip to KZN especially for coral collection and Its great to hear that zoa's are legal... please tell me the best place to go for some beautiful specimen ! Are there any fish too look out for while I'm there , as I'm not sure what species there are which is actually kept in tanks . You guys have no idea how excited I am for this , already have my collecting & molluscs and marine fish permits ready :slayer::slayer: feel like a kid waiting for Xmas in July , the anticipation is killing me! Can it really be collected off of rocks without even having to go diving , if so I might be able to go sooner than expecting cause I won't need to be recertified to dive . BTW, can this stuff be brought back to cpt on the plane with me ?

I am planning a trip to KZN especially for coral collection and Its great to hear that zoa's are legal... please tell me the best place to go for some beautiful specimen ! Are there any fish too look out for while I'm there , as I'm not sure what species there are which is actually kept in tanks . You guys have no idea how excited I am for this , already have my collecting & molluscs and marine fish permits ready :slayer::slayer: feel like a kid waiting for Xmas in July , the anticipation is killing me! Can it really be collected off of rocks without even having to go diving , if so I might be able to go sooner than expecting cause I won't need to be recertified to dive . BTW, can this stuff be brought back to cpt on the plane with me ?
*remember your permit*

As for the rest collect on the rocks at low tide keep in mind conservation when you collect.
When I return home I collect a new sample of water in energade bottles with the zoas /cuc I collected and put them in my carry on.

Enjoy your holiday!

will i get in trouble if they see this in my carry on ? I plan on taking a nice amount of stock for my new tank and also thinking about a little extra if anyone else wants some, if it is possible to bring that amount . For me I love this hobby and if I have the opportunity to share what I can then I will , I think marine trade is far too exspensive and does not need to be , it's just simply a cornered market . So I intend on sharing the love where I can .

Depending on how many litters of water you plan to take onboard. In 2013/14 I brought up a few hermits in a 1.9L Coleman Jug. Half full of water. They were OK with that.

Collecting zoa sounds like fun, but do keep in mind. Where do small crabs hide? And what else not. Check properly that nothing else is in between the polyps. Plus they will get grey slime easily. All those polyps touched by that is as good as dead. Cut away immediately.

Depending on how many litters of water you plan to take onboard. In 2013/14 I brought up a few hermits in a 1.9L Coleman Jug. Half full of water. They were OK with that.

Collecting zoa sounds like fun, but do keep in mind. Where do small crabs hide? And what else not. Check properly that nothing else is in between the polyps. Plus they will get grey slime easily. All those polyps touched by that is as good as dead. Cut away immediately.

Are there any risks to the person fragging zoas ? Don't you need to be careful, its toxins can be an issue ?

So hopefully a 5 litre juice bottle with a broad base will be ok ... may leave the fish then because I doubt a flight in a small bottle will be Ok and the last thing I want to do is stress them out or have a fishes death on my conscience. But I'll see if I can talk to someone at the air port when I get off the plane and make some prior arrangements just to make 100% sure . Maybe I'll be ale to take more than anticipated.

Are there any risks to the person fragging zoas ? Don't you need to be careful, its toxins can be an issue ?

As for the toxins , I was thinking about that as well , I bought some surgical gloves today at clicks lol . Please guys if you could give me some exact locations/beaches of these corals that would be amazing as I am not familiar with KZN and would not have a clue where to go .

Rather transport each zoa colony in its own bottle. Else if one get the grey slime you anyway will loose them all.

Permit only allows to collect for yourself, so you cant donate/sell/trade anything you collect.

That sucks! So only once I've fragged what I've collected can share what I've got !? I'm sure there must be some sort of loop hole ! What if I collected slightly larger specimen , let it grow a little (2 weeks lol ) and then frag , that way it's technically not collected but grown ?

Rather transport each zoa colony in its own bottle. Else if one get the grey slime you anyway will loose them all.

That's a idea but once again would they allow it in my carry on luggage especially with multiple bottles with live stock in it . If its ok I will go with a little clothing so I can leave everything in Durban and just have coral in my carry on when coming home .

Personally id travel with time in a damp newspaper in a plastic bag. Less toxin secretion and wash off well when you get to the destination.

Personally id travel with time in a damp newspaper in a plastic bag. Less toxin secretion and wash off well when you get to the destination.

Ingenious ! How did you do it because I'd be so scared to damage them . I mean a few hours with no water should be fine , but how did you inclose them in the paper? Did you have them in some sort of support structure ?
As for washing off , what is your process , I'm sure you using clean water to rinse each frag but how are you doing that , I've heard of people using a squirt bottle but I'd be concerned as to how affective that would be .

Great zoas on the north coast. Came across this. Not sure if its 100% local or if someone planted them. But known as my Clementines

2018-05-31-19-48-05.jpg

Great zoas on the north coast. Came across this. Not sure if its 100% local or if someone planted them. But known as my Clementines

2018-05-31-19-48-05.jpg
That is absolutely stunning ! And when you say north coast , could you please be a little more specific, as in the name of the beach or what area it was in ?

You my friend are rock star !! Thank you so so much . There is no emoticon to express my excitement now!

Back
Top Bottom