Calcium to high..Why?

Reaction score
Howzit!
I've checked my Calcium earlier this week using tropic marine test kit.
reading of 520....
I'm dripping gebluste kalk once a week or so. I've dripped this about a week ago - nothing since.

Why can the Ca be so high?

not yet...
My PH and Alk test kits are finished - budget didn't allow for a new kit this month. :-(

The magnesium/alk/ph and calcium all depend on each other for stabillity, so chances are the other perams are out too.

Until you do i would stop dosing with Kalk. High calcium can suppress alkalinity. You could find that by raising your alkalinity slowly your calcium will fall to normal levels. You do need to measure though.

Thanks warr - i've tested with two diff test kits. Thus i am sure about the readings....
then i would suggest going with post no 5 ;)

I've checked my Calcium earlier this week using tropic marine test kit.
reading of 520....

Like the Englishman said the first time he saw a giraffe - there ain't no such animal... :)

If the calcium was really that high you would have serious calcium carbonate precipitation - is the water a milky color, and are the pumps, etc. covered in white precipitate? If not, I would suggest that you have a third test done, as it's really unlikely that the calcium level is really that high.

The other possibility is that there could be something in the water which is giving a false high reading on the test kits.

Hennie

Like the Englishman said the first time he saw a giraffe - there ain't no such animal... :)

If the calcium was really that high you would have serious calcium carbonate precipitation - is the water a milky color, and are the pumps, etc. covered in white precipitate? If not, I would suggest that you have a third test done, as it's really unlikely that the calcium level is really that high.

The other possibility is that there could be something in the water which is giving a false high reading on the test kits.

Hennie

Nope - no white precipitate, no milky color in the water....
Meaning that the readings are wrong (both mine and the LFS)..
Meaning that i've paid R250 for nothing....:(

Any advice for a new test kit - and what to do in mean time?
I'll stop dosing the kalk for now.

I'm in Bloem for most of this week, but I can bring a test kit with me when I go to Vaal Park this coming Friday (6th June) - if you want to pop around with a water sample I can test it for you with a kit that I know is giving reasonably accurate results. Let me know...

Hennie

If the calcium was really that high you would have serious calcium carbonate precipitation - is the water a milky color, and are the pumps, etc. covered in white precipitate? It's really unlikely that the calcium level is really that high.

Hennie

From my understanding of calcium, is that it becomes insoluble at higher pH and or alkalinity. So if there were a situation of precipitation the pH/alkalinity should be relatively high. On the flip side, if the pH is low, calcium is more soluble. aka calc reactor. Making it possible to attain readings in the 500ppm region. Do you not have a swimming pool test kit to check your water.

520 ppm Ca is not that high if your kH is also high. See this (excellent!) article by Randy Holmes-Farley (aka "the kalk guru") for a detailed explanation:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

My guess would be that you simply overdosed with kalk. If your KH is also high, you can just leave it and it will all come right. See the article for details.

Q

Don't you think that the pH would have gone through the roof long before the Ca became that high...
I don't think so. The higher the pH the less soluble calcium.
A sky high pH would not tolerate high calcium levels. ie bi carbonate ions become carbonate ions. Precipitation would then mean lower alkalinity and calcium. The only time this would be concurrent would be shortly after a heavy dose of kalk providing that the alkalinity and pH is low (tank) before the dose. And this would only be temporary (few hours)Equilibrium state would be achieved fairly quickly.

If as Raven indicated calcium levels are consistently (excluding test kit faulty) high then the way to get them back to normal would be to slowly dose with baking soda.

I'm in Bloem for most of this week, but I can bring a test kit with me when I go to Vaal Park this coming Friday (6th June) - if you want to pop around with a water sample I can test it for you with a kit that I know is giving reasonably accurate results. Let me know...

Hennie

Thanks!
I'll do that - just let me know what time suits you!

Back
Top Bottom