Ca/mg problems

Reaction score
k here are my Ca and Mg amounts
is it bad. arn't they a bit high.
what would cuase this if they are?

Ca is sitting at 440
Mg is sitting at 1860
are these levels bad if so what can i do?

First off not too bad, ca is perfect mg slightly high. Are you adding any suppliments for Mg.

they aren't that bad

prehobses(don't know the spelling) algae wont grow in your tank....that is good

LOL @ Lanzo - try "Bryopsis" nuisance algae ;)

No probs with your readings, at this stage Mike..... Just don't dose anything that has Mg in it..... Just keep on measuring, and see the rate of usage....

no i just bought some Ca to dose but haven't done any dosing as its not needed.
i am still don't really understand why my monti's are not doing to well i have done and bought but bud everything to start sps and still they not doing that great. sorte of going whitish in colour.

1) Lighting

150 watt MH
2 25watt t5 reeftek actinic
ps tank is 39cm deep and however also has a very irritating black support bar that is 4cm wide in the middle of the tank.

2) Filtration

1st skimmer
Algae scrubber, DSB, getting Chaeto shortly
a diy phosphate reactor with phosban

3) Flow

Resun wave maker 15000
Sieo 820

4) food

tropic marin: pro-coral zooton

i don't wanna get anymore sps until the monti's are doing well.
i have also just just changed to Tetra salt aswell ( have done one water change with it)

Mike you can adjust your alk with Baking soda (not baking Powder) it must be mixed up in some R/o water and dripped into the tank slowly and do not lift it more than 2dkh a day

here is a link to a calculator to work out how much you need

Reef Chemistry Calculator

You are going have a coralline problem soon, it loves Mg.

What salt are you using ? check it's Alk rating and it may show you the source of the low levels.

What salt are you using ? check it's Alk rating and it may show you the source of the low levels.[/quote]

Warr I think he was useing Real ocean and has know changed over to Tetra

Warr I think he was useing Real ocean and has know changed over to Tetra

Then there is the prob, seems (from my tests) quite a low ALk salt, almost as low as TM.

Does he have any creatures that could be consuming the ALk - Clams, SPS, Coralline ?

Test your salt dude.

If you going dose Baking Soda, then make sure you match your tank's alk when doing WC, or you going be fighting a losing battle ;)

Back
Top Bottom