Bare bottom or substate

BB or Substrate

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mekaeel

Reaction score
Awrite Crew
the time has come for me to move my tank.im planning wether to go BB or substrate,i really love to go BB but at the same time im gonna miss the look of substrate.planning on creating enough flow under the rock work to help prevent detrtus settlement.just to add,my base is 10mm glass,what are the chances of rocks falling and cracking the base if bare bottom?
cool

Hey Mek I'm in the same position...setting up a new tank and have no idea what to do...

hey well if you going sps would recommend bb, just easier to work with.

Agree. Work :) being the operative word. BB is more work. Manual nutrient export is a critical part of BB. However, because you no longer have sand... flow directed at the bottom can be used to create fall out areas. The only reason sps are more challenging is because they are more work. ie nutrient control = work. When so many people talk about agressive nutrient export, do you think they are talking about reading the Sunday paper and letting the snails work their magic. ...No they mean that you are permanently ticked off because you are constantly cleaning up someone else's mess.

I miss my Sunday paper...and BB is UUUggly

I miss my Sunday paper...and BB is UUUggly[/quote]
:lol: :lol: :lol:

hey boet judging from your current system you seem to have things waxed with sps..

be careful changing your style, but do what is best for you inhabitants....

i am considering substrate but have always been a bare bottm fan.....

HEY SORRY TO GO OFF TOPIC
But, is the little goggas good for ones tank?
If i turn off my lights at night, then i see alot and alot of stuff coming out of my sand and rock.

Ugh... I don't know about SA, but this topic has caused some nasty cyber "wars" here in the states. Personally, I think DSBs are great, but you can probably keep coral just as well without them. The best of both worlds, IMO, is the remote DSB (or better yet, a nice big refugium with a DSB).

Back
Top Bottom