Bare Bottom Ideas

Reaction score
Howdy

I am thinking of going BB on my new tank, but I really want ot go with a canyon effect like origonreef..... I also just recently removed the substrate from my nano and the tank looks so healthy (not to mention no more cayno and GHA) and it is so much simpler to keep clean.

Here is my thought / idea. When I used to keep Bearded Dragons, some people would make natural rock like formations from combination of sand and grout or cement and shape the stuff.

Would it not be possible to do something similar on a BB?
I know technically it would not be BB anymore, but would look more natural, would be simple to blow clean and would not be able to trap gunk.

Of course this is all dependent on what you could make the mix out of that would not leach crap into the water column.

Ideas, thoughts, flames, praises????

i am not a BB fan, but you can use white cement, and crushed coral, thats all safe for the tank after curing for 3-4weeks in water...

Not a fan of BB either, the idea of BB is easy detritus removal, so if you go BB dont cover it.

another idea is to buy a huge bag of sugar sized crushed coral, sprinkle enuff to just cover then what ever u siphon out u can replace easily, just an idea

another idea is to buy a huge bag of sugar sized crushed coral, sprinkle enuff to just cover then what ever u siphon out u can replace easily, just an idea

Yeah this is probably the idea I would go with...... but with play sand or something very fine. Got to hope then that it does not get blown all over the place.

Yeah I must say I am not the biggest BB fan either, however there are some stunning ones.

Substrate just looks so much more natural, and you do want a chunk of the ocean in your house after all.

Also if you want to put large rock structures, bear in mind you have pressure points on the glass at the bottom, however substrate will act as a cushion, and there is enough very healthy tanks out there with substrate.

Good luck though

Back
Top Bottom