Aussie corals

Reaction score
Someone came to me looking for a source for Australian Elegance corals in South Africa. I am in the United States and have no idea how to answer this question. I was hoping someone on this site could help out. So, does anyone have a link to someone that carries Australian Elegance corals? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Darrell.

masahello Elegance coral

I ama sure a few guys will pop up with answers for you

Welcome i hope you dont just have that one question and stay

Darrell!! Welcome to MASA! So glad you made it over here!masahello
(It's me, Sara :) )

Darrell, welcome to MASA, gr8 to have you on board. With regards the elegance corals in SA, yes we do get them, but as to their origins I have no idea. Sorry but what is the difference between the normal elegance we get in and the Aussie version?

Sorry but what is the difference between the normal elegance we get in and the Aussie version?

Alan, I believe that the most corals from the Indo-Pacific are now collected from deeper water due to the fact that few specimens are still available in shallower water (over collecting), however in Australia they are collected from shallower waters. Some people believe it is due to the fact that some specimens are collected from deeper water that we now have Elegance coral disease. Then some people say it lighting.

See you do learn something from writing a wiki page:thumbup:

Darrell, welcome to MASA, gr8 to have you on board. With regards the elegance corals in SA, yes we do get them, but as to their origins I have no idea. Sorry but what is the difference between the normal elegance we get in and the Aussie version?

Thanks Alan, and love the avatar.

Elegance corals are reported to live off the east coast of Africa, so if this is where your corals come from you may not see the problems with them, we see here in the states and in europe. For many years almost all of our Elegance corals were collected in Indonesia. The evidence highly suggests that after years of over collecting in this region they were forced to move to deeper waters in the search for more Elegance corals to collect. These corals have adapted to life in a very deep and dark environment for a photosynthetic coral. As with any coral that is suddenly exposed to light that is dramatically stronger than what it is accustom to, the corals tissues become damaged. After suffering this damage there are many different organisms that infect these corals, usually leading to the corals death. For many years here in the states, the casualty rate among these corals was near 100%. About a year ago Australia began exporting Elegance corals. These corals have not been over collected in the waters off of Australia. Most of these corals are being collected on or near the coral reef itself, where the water is clear and the light is bright. These corals have proven to be very hardy. There are even people here that buy large Elegance corals from Australia, frag them, and sell them for profit. Something that was impossible with the Indonesian Elegance corals. With the poor survival rate and the drastic decline in wild populations of Indonesian Elegance corals, I have been advising people here in the states to avoid purchasing them. When someone from SA contacted me through my website with questions about purchasing an Elegance, I gave them the same advice I would give someone here in the states. When they informed me that they were unaware of a source of Australian corals in SA, I came here hoping someone had the information that could help this person. They posted a picture of their Elegance that seemed to be in the final stages of the problem we see in the Indonesian Elegance corals. I truly hope I can find a way for this person to get a healthy Australian Elegance.

Welcome to MASA!

Welcome to MASA Darrell, hope you enjoy your stay!:wave2:

Hi Darrell, we have the same problem with elegance corals over here with about 95% dying in the first few weeks. I really have not heard of any Aussie corals coming through our stores. Will find out though, although i highly doubt it as the cost would be way too steep.

Elegance try Pm'ing Obi-Wan, he might just be the best man to speak to, I will Pm him this link as well:D

Hi Darrell! Welcome to MASA! Great to have you on-board. Many thanks for the enlightening information about the elegance coral.

Our LFS here in Cape Town sometimes gets Elegance Corals in. I will HAVE to find out whether these are from Indonesia (deep water) or where exactly they stem from.

You could definitely supply my name to this person as well - I would see if I can source this coral for him/her.

i would imagine most of the Elegance we see here would be from Indo.

You may want to do some research on Elegance Coral Syndrome (ECS). The findings suggest that the corals are dying due to a bacterial infection picked up in distributor holding tanks rather than from environmental unsuitability of the tanks they're being placed in.

Back
Top Bottom