Aquavitro vs Reef fusion 1 & 2

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by hadiosbourne, 20 Mar 2013.

1. hadiosbourne

hadiosbourne

Hey Guys,
    I've been thinking of using my dosing pump on my RSM130D (Lps & softie) which is sitting in my cabinet for a good couple of month and stop adding supplements manually, I'm getting very lazy with my tank, and want to do a weekly water change and let the dosser takes care of the rest:D

I've searched the forum for some comparisons but couldn't find much,

So i decided to ask professional reefers for some advise,

So, i've got the marine magic 3head dosser and planning to dose the main supplements, Ca , Mg and Alk.

I was researching seachem products, which seems like the more reliable supplements in compare to the other brands,

And i was deciding between going with:

Aquavitro Ion, Balance & calcification

Or

Seachem reef fusion 1 & 2

I couldn't find much feedback on the forum on these 2 products, Any advise is appreciate:thumbup:

Last edited: 20 Mar 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i would use seachem fusion 1 and 2, i prefer a 2 part solution. but since they both made by seachem both are great.

the difference between the 2 is that aquavitro can be used individually, and fusion made for dosing pumps, thats my opinion

4. 3dd

3dd

Tagging

5. hadiosbourne

hadiosbourne Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, Does Fusion 1 & 2 contain all the 3 elements or i'm wrong?
    Last time i checked the label it looked it has magnesium also in it.:thumbup:

6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

yes, reef fusion has it all

7. hadiosbourne

Thanks dallasg, it really helped.:thumbup:

8. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

The problem with the fusion , is that not all ellements are used at the same rate , the bio-load will influence the useige of alk and p.h , but the mag cal and other ellement are pritty constant in a coral only tank.
    Just the amount of fish will set off the ratio , so if you have the doser , ide go for Aqua Vitro )( i do use it :p )

9. mandarinman

mandarinman

Valid point. Even if using fusion you need to test and adjust weekly

10. hadiosbourne

That make sense, you have to adjust elements depending on the need, if it has all in 2, there isn't much control over it,
    thanks david, always helpful :)

11. hadiosbourne

So what aquavitros to dose :D

Ions, for magnesium
    Calcification for calcium
    Balance? the label reads that it adjust the PH while alk and ca are in optimum level, is also a source for alkalinity?

12. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

1 .Eight four - Raises alk and P.H ( but i dont use this...)
    Im going to use the red sea Alk and strontium buffer from monday
    2 .Calcifacation
    3 .Fuel , i find it realy helps with pollyp extention.
    4 .Ions

i dont think any 1 company can make the best complete range , so through trial and little errors :p
    Find the best parts of each companys range.

Im still trying new products.

But im not happy with the powders that we mix and put through a dosser , yes they stronger , but its a inconvenience to keep them in solution ( even though powders are more concentrate. )

13. Fred d

Fred d

I am using fusion 1 and 2 now for about 4 months or so and although my bioload is not to heavy my parameters are spot on with it ...

It is used mixed into my waterchanges beforehand and am using aquarium water , 10% per week

14. Fred d

Fred d

Fusion contains 5mg magnesium per every 1g as per label

15. DeanT

DeanT Dean

Hi all
    I know this is a revival of an old thread but starting a new one would be wasteful.

I haven't used my Doser for a while and thought I should put this use, but need some input.
    I have a four stage Doser and used to dose aqua vitro fuel, ions and vibrance.
    I was at a Lfs over the weekend and was discussing maintaining kh levels this and we discussed prior products I had used .
    they said that most dry formulas (powder)cannot be mixed and dosed over time as they tend to separate once they sit causing inconsistent concentration of the mixture.

So I was recommended to use reef fusion 2 to maintain my kh levels as I had a carx in place already.
    So my Doser would be set up as follows
    1. Fuel
    2. Ions
    3. Vibrance
    4. Fusion 2

Thoughts from fellows ?
    Any suggestions ?
    Thanks in advance

Last edited: 20 Jul 2014
  16. 4age

4age

Tagging...any 1 know if fuel can be dosed by dosing pump. ..coz I know it should be kept in a fridge once opened

17. DeanT

DeanT Dean

No one got any input on dosing ?

18. Fred d

Fred d

I have a question ...

from day 1 to 6 you dose your supplements and enrich the water to satisfactory levels . on day 7 you do a 10% or a 20% waterchange and essentially putting back 10 or 20% stripped water . don't you strip the water column of additives you've been adding for the last 6 days ?

Would it not be better to dose the supplements as a part of your waterchange ?

19. ScottK

ScottK

You dose to keep the water at constant levels of required minerals, replenishing what is used on an ongoing basis. When doing a water change the new water would be at the same or at least similar levels to what you have been dosing to maintain.

20. Fred d

Fred d

How can it be at about the same levels ? If it was at about the same levels the why are we dosing

21. ScottK

ScottK

You are trying to keep the levels constant. Your aquarium utilizes minerals during the day the main minerals needing replenished are Ca, Alk and Mg. You dose these on a day to day basis to keep the levels constant. These main minerals are used in a much higher quantity than a weekly water change could handle (depending on coral stocking, load etc.) A weekly water change will assist in replenishing other minerals that are being utilized in a much lower quantity, I can list these but the list is pretty long :)

For example I know my tank uses around 10ppm Ca per day, dropping from 450 to 440 in a 24 hour period. My doser is set to dose enough to counter act the 10ppm in a 24 hour period. When I do a water change I want a salt brand that when mixed is close to 450 Ca (and close to my other parameters) so that when I do the change my levels don't fluctuate too much.

If I wasn't dosing and waited for a weekly water change my Ca would have dropped from 450 down to 380, doing just a water change wouldn't be sufficient to raise my Ca up to the desired level, you also wouldn't want to make that kind of drastic change in one go.

Hope this makes sense?

Last edited: 21 Jul 2014
Recent Posts