Absolute novice at reefing

So after much waiting I got my tank and had a modification made to the design of the overflow. Will hopefully start it up tomorrow and get the cycle going...I get the feeling that this hobby is gonna cost me an arm and a leg, fortunately I got one of the best refeers helping me along :)

Will post some pics tomorrow...watch this space :)
welcome to masa, i missed this thread when you first joined:)

its great to hear you are getting going and are starting to uinderstand a little of the hobby, and even better that you have a reefing buddy to help you along:)

how about a few pics of the tank and the modifications youve made?

Here are few pics of my new tank. I added a durso to the original design.

Got salt and live rock in for now, also added live bacteria.

Not sure if i should go with a bare base reef or not...any suggestions or pro's and con's

Here you go, Ismail:
picture.php

And:
picture.php

about 2 months later and I have my
picture.php

first fish :) Also have 2 shrimp and 4 hermits...

Tank is stable and healthy :)
picture.php

Great to see how much u have learnt from when u first posted this. Nice tank! We love pics ;)

so about 4 months later my reef is starting to take shape...
2 black clowns
1 tomato clown
1 purple dotty back
1 yellow tang
1 blennie
3 cleaner shrimp and a few hermits

Cape Town-20121230-00122.jpg

Cape Town-20121230-00120.jpg

Cape Town-20130103-00128.jpg

Nice going, mate! I'm getting my 1st marine tank in a week or so. Very nervous about it but your tank is an inspiration that reminds us that even the newbies can make a success of it first time round!

Thanks Rocket...I am still nervous :) Just take your time, to minimize your losses, and enjoy the ride.

Sjoh,,,

The water is soo clear, it actually looks like there is no water in it!! :lol:

Well done man! :thumbup:

Masha Allah bru, looks very nice loads of potential. M150?
is that an ati light unit over the system. how ru managing with the small sump, and how is that skimmer performing.

Thanks

@chris, thanks...the reason for the clear water is a combination of purigen and some dossage regime of a number of additives.

@ Trisique, Shukran buddy and yes it is a M range tank...not sure of the exact one tho. The sump that I have running is fine but I had to make modifications to the tank to make it work properly by adding a durso to the system and a much stronger return pump. I am also using Nitrogaurd Bio cubes in the sump with Purigen which effectively reduces my Nitrates and Nitrites to 0. The Skimmer is doing its job, with the aid of the Nitrogaurd but it is extremely loud so I am looking at changing it when I have some spare cash. Regarding the light, yes it is an ATI sunpower :) So far that is the best investment that I made and it makes a huge difference to the tank...but i have to admit that I got it at a steal from Liaquat, aka Obi-wan.
@Clowning - thanks for the heads-up, my knowledge on species is limited so for now i will be calling it nemo :)
@fish, thanks mate...definately enjoying it even though it quickly drying my bank account :p

Last edited by a moderator:
corals

I have a few about 4 different species of polops and zoa's but nothing else, my budget is depleted for now so no more shopping for a while, unless u can tell me where I can get good quality corals for cheap :)

Cape%20Town-20130103-00124.jpg

Cape%20Town-20130103-00128.jpg

Back
Top Bottom