Which Skimmer

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by jaquesdp08, 28 Aug 2009.

1. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

ok,need a new skimmer for my Setup.. Total Volume around 1000 litres...

Tunze
    Bubble King 250
    Reefocto BubbleBlaster
    H&S (2xeheim pumps)
    Deltec
    Aqua Excel
    Aqua Medic Shorty

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

Bubble King!

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Jaquesdp08 - are you hard set on those brands of skimmers?
    All, except for the AquaExcel and the ReefOcto ranges, are "break-the-bank" type deals.

Why not investigate the Bubble Magus range as well?

I know that I may sound like a "sales man or rep" for Bubble Magus. But, I did indeed find that I got a skimmer which performs excellently, for the price.

If cost is no option, I would say go for the Deltec AP902 skimmer or perhaps Bubble Master/King BM-250/300.

If you would rather get value for money, compare the ReefOctopus, AquaExcel and Bubble Magus skimmers.

The model I have, of the Bubble Magus range, is the BM-260. It is an external skimmer, which stands about 720mm high, and has a diameter of 220mm.
    It is gravity fed, and has 2 x recirculating AquaBee 2000/l pin-wheel pumps, which together sucks 1400 litres of air per hour. The bubbles are extremely fine.
    When I set my skimmer to run "dry"'ish, the skimmer produces 25 litres of very dark and extremely stinking skimmate in a week. And the neck of the skimmer then still get's silted up with crap.
    When I run this skimmer in a medium wet mode, I get 25 litres of skimmate produces every 3 days.....

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

dude with the current variety and latest developments id say reefocto what size tank is it for. i have seen alot of people follow the hype instead of getting down to the buisness of actually keeping coral and fish.. dont be sucked into the gadgets game..

6. Mathewis

Mathewis

Well if you have R25K to spend on a skimmer The bubble king is your skimmer. The reef octo bubble blaster 250 is just about an exact copy of the bubble king for 1/3 of the price.

7. Boendoe

Boendoe

Reefocto BubbleBlaster - Reasonable pricing for a very good skimmer.

8. leslie hempel

onlybecause you havent had one :)

9. leslie hempel

if your sytem is 1000lt id buy a model that skimms 2000lt - 3000lt i have a skimmer of 2000lt on a 500lt tank and believe me even with heavy feeding this skimmer has cleaned the water to an extent that i no longer get alot of skimmate. so thats the ratio id recomend.. as for the brand as i stated earlier due to the simularity in technology of the RO extreme and BB skimmers to the Bubble Master and bubble king i dont really see the need to incur the extra expence.. the sicce pumps are used on both the BM and RO extreme slimmers and the actual skimmer body is identical.. so it becomes a numbers game..

10. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

If you have your heart set on a Deltec 902 i would wait till the middle of September. The new range of skimmers are arriving. Mine is on order. However having said that i was at Aquarium Depot on Tuesday and saw the RO bubble thing doing its thing on a setup. I was very impressed with the new circulation pump the skimmer has and it only draws 40w. It was about half the price of the Deltec 902. Also it will fit quite easily under a tank in a cabinet.

11. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08 Thread Starter

My heart is more set on the Tunze Range

12. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Ya The Tunze is a very good skimmer. I use them in in sump setups and they work very well however i feel that the other skimmers technology at this stage have just improved so much compared to the Tunzi. But then i am talking from the older DOC range. One other good thing about the Tunze is the distributor. George gives excellent service and you don't have to wait months for parts.

Last edited: 28 Aug 2009
  13. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08 Thread Starter

i need to mention it will be insump..

14. SchyffS

SchyffS Reef Aquarist

hey, the latest technology used by the different skimmer manufacturers are fairly closely matched, they can all do the job pretty well.
    IMO, the less expensive skimmers should be sized to double your water capacity, it seems this is the trend to play it safe.
    I would say that its a matter of build quality and service backup only that you must be weary of, in sump...then not too much of a problem.

I would get the bigger skimmer for my buck, instead of the AP902 get a OCTO or Aqua Excel that is matched for 2000 or 3000 litre tank...:thumbup:

15. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Hmmm, do yourself a favour and check out the new range of Tunze skimmers.

16. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Allan it is not possible to use all the different makes of skimmers. I can only talk from what i have used and seen. That said i am sure that a new model Tunze skimmer will cross my path in time to come. In general Tunze is a very good product, but then some of the others are also good.

:biggrin: Maybe i should ask George to send me a demo unit to check out. I might just get lucky:whistling:

17. SchyffS

SchyffS Reef Aquarist

Did you get luck yet? :wave2:

18. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

:) I have not asked yet. Besides if i told you he gave me a demo unit every MASA member will be hounding him. :lol:

19. SchyffS

SchyffS Reef Aquarist

:lol: i would be first inline

20. IMarine

IMarine

skimmer

Hi there if you got the moola bubble king otherwise deltec 850,701 or the monster 902 ,the h&s range also excellent skimmer,the reefocto blaster in southafrica the importer rates it for 3000lt-4000lt over rated, its rated for 1200lt-1500lt tank and the reef octo range is also available in cone skimmers that is the model xp2000,now the new tunze range are excellent skimmers as well,i have had all the above ,including the bubbleking 500,now thats a mother of a skimmer, i will say if you got the bucks go for the bubble king 250,otherwise the deltec range,wll out perform the rest of the above range (german engineering)

21. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Recent Posts