What does fallow mean exactly?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by bushwacker_69, 4 Sep 2008.

1. bushwacker_69

bushwacker_69

so i decide this ich thing is getting out of hand...and i want to let my tank lie fallow for 6 weeks...what does this mean exactly....i know it means no fishies....but what abt my anemone...shrimp...crabs....porites with xmas tree worms?? is it ok if they left in and continue as normal..

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. bushwacker_69

bushwacker_69 Thread Starter

``bump``:whistling:

4. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

Could be wrong but I think ich requires a fish host. Never seen a hermit with ich... If there's no host for the ich it will die. Where are you putting your fish for 6 weeks?

5. bushwacker_69

dunno yet.....had 8 fish...only 4 left...ich got the better of the other 4....so i think its time to get rid of the ich...

6. lappiesreef

lappiesreef

Do the remaning guys still have it?

I think I'll have to change my nic to VitC after this....but it really works...

Try dosing VitC on your remaning Fish. It will increase their survival rate..
    It doens;t really affect the parasite, but helps the fish immune system to fight off the infection and helps their skin to heal faster...

7. lappiesreef

lappiesreef

Oh, BTW I think you have to drop the SG when you go Fallow...Helps to kill off the parasite... Can;t remebr how low now...Think 1.023... The parasites can;t survive under such low SG or something like that

8. bushwacker_69

ok il try...
    the guys that are surviving well(i think) are the female anthiais...and only for that reason i think they surving is coz they eat like pigs 3 times a day...brineshrimp soaked in garlic...so i think thier immune systems are obviuslt stronger..the male anthais i lost wasnt eating so freely from day one...its like he couldnt have been bothered..used to take the food in his mouth and spit it back out.....so ya...and the other fish i lost was am ocellaris..but i have the suspision he was the root of this evil!!!

9. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

Next time anthias don't eat try fish roe. If all else fails, goldies eat this. Fattens them up very well.

10. lv

lv

Hi bushwacker_69
    If you decide to let your tank lye fallow, be careful not to lowering the salinity. This may be harmful to your invertibrates, besides it's not invertibrates seeing as you have removed the parasites hosts(fishes). You should however lower the salinity of the hospital tank(fish only tank). The hospital tank must be kept at a lower salinity level for no shorter than 6 weeks and no longer than 8. This is because lower salinity = slower kidney and internal organ function in fish, this could be fatal for fish.

Recent Posts