Unknown Specimen

Reaction score
Please Id this fish for me guys:(It keeps on burrying itself under the sand)
Thank you in advance.

020820071024.jpg

is he a new addition? or has he been hiding in your tank. i aint got clue on what he is. sorry dude

It's part of the razorfishes and yes most prolly a dragon wrasse. Say bye bye to any snails you had. I should have a positive ID by tomorrow

Courtesy of the crew at WetWeb Media

Fish ID... Novaculichthys taeniourus (Dragon Wrasse) – 08/03/07
Hi,
<<Hello Wikus, interesting name...het is Nederlands, ja?>>
Could you please help with a positive ID?
<<Yep...know this one>>
I think the fish in the attached picture is a Dragon Wrasse, I'm not 100% sure though.
<<Indeed it is Novaculichthys taeniourus, the Dragon or Rockmover Wrasse. Quite
attractive/entertaining/even comical as a juvenile...less so and often quite
destructive (called “Rockmover” for a reason) as an adult. Can attain about 13” at
maturity and will need to be housed in a large tank with other robust fishes>>
Thanks,
Wikus
<<Happy to help. Eric Russell>>

I can vouch for the snail part. We had one at the shop in a tank full of healty snails.
Wrasse 11 Snails 0

But it might only have been this one specimen

Nah, all my snails are still alive and kicking, then again I think he is scared of the size of the snails I have... LoL.
But yes, definately a cool fish to watch, even when he's stuffing up the sandbed to bury himself- at least the red algae is gone... another LoL

Now that just sound wrong!

Yes they are found in our waters. Often arrive with Kenyan Shipments

That is a juvinile dragon wrasse, the adult looks far less dramatic. They are also referred to as rockmover wrasse and thats exactly what they enjoy doing, moving small stones around and piling them in the corner of the tank. Due to this habbit it will often dislodge corals wich is a bit irritating and detrimental.

It is NOT reef safe especially as an adult and will chow all nonsesile invertebrates and small fish.

They are however very friendly and will come and take food our your hand and allow you to stroke it...very cute.

Ryan

Back
Top Bottom