Tube Anemone Info

Hi Warr - they are beautiful, aren't they? Most in any case that I have seen.

At first, they are anemonies. I can only presume that they need to be treat in very much the same way. Only difference being, that I can think of - that they do not require as much light as most of your bigger species of anemone's.

They also need to feed. And I believe that they can even eat a fish, if the fish is unlucky enough to "wander" into the tube anemone's tentacles....

I don't think that they have the tendency to wander, though....

Hey Warr

Here is my Tube anemone. Purple with green center. I feed it twice a week with krill or stint. I tried squid but it rejected it. It also loves brine shrimp. It catched then with the tips of the purple tenticles and then hand then over to the green middle tenticales and down the tube they go.

This ines tube is about 18 cm long, while the head part is only about 5 cm in diameter.

I moved the rock once, like 5 cm to the side and it had a fit. Retracted under the rock and came out on the other side a day later. I veru stressfull day for me...

5664805976d2751e.jpg

Thanks J. You must see it in real life...The purple tenticles actually have green spots ruuning along their lenth. From above it looks like a landing strip into it's mouth :)

I have read though if you don't keep it well fed it will catch your fish...

Oi vay, after reading that articel I'm a bit worried...

My feeding it krill ect is contra indicated. Most of my fish is incompatible with it.
My tank size is too small. It produces allot of waste and stinging cells that can injure the rest of my inhabitants :(

Hi Warr,

I had one, and basically want to copy what Jaques said.

Mine only relocated once because the area it was in had too shallow substrate. So it went looking for deeper sand.

There are some really beautiful speciman's out there. They are easy to feed and quite hardy.

Apparently when they are very big they can catch very small fish as well. But IME they wouldn't be strong enough to hold onto the average clownfish.

Just don't feed them large portions of krill. As with all anemones, smaller portions are better. Bob is stuck on large tanks for anemones. I agree it shouldn't be attempted by beginners. He also doesn't believe in keeping them with coral, we've been doing this for years, however you do have to be careful with what your mixing.

If Bob seen some of my tanks he'd shoot me! But everything is healthy and well maintained.

I'm a newbee as well...keeping the tube with corals and a nennie...

I feed him one krill twice a week.

So far eveything seems to be doing fine. I'll try and put more sapce between the anemone and my zoa colony... I think it can reach two or three of the polyps...

From what I now, they are non photosynthetic (hence the bright non green/brown colours). They are predators feeding on a variety of tiny prey such as small shrimp etc. I know of maybe one or two sightings where a tube anemone caught a fish - suggesting that they are a much lower risk for catching your fish than the typical carpet anemone.

They need a DSB otherwise they cannot anchor themselves. Also, since they can pack a powerful sting and can extend a lot at night, they need at least 20cm around them free of any other coral or other sessile inverts, or the coral will be stung and most probably die..

Since their crowns are delicate, feeding large prey might damage them.

I see most places suggest teh DSB fro their anchoring. Mine is an odd ball. It is acnhored undeneath a rock. The tube lie above the substrate but well hidden under the rock...

I never force food on the crown. I hold it with forcepts above it and wait for the tenticles to wrap around the krill/stint, it them pulls the prey in itself.

Back
Top Bottom