Substrate

Reaction score
I never know what or how with substrate. So I decided to take a pic of what I have available to me and ask for comments.

PIC_0051.jpg

From top left we have

Coarse crushed coral 2mm to 5mm
Aqua Medic aragonite
PE Beach sand

From bottom left
Fine crushed coral 1mm to 2mm
P&P No name sugar (For comparison)

Okay all please comment and say what you would recommend.

1. As main tank substrate
2. For DSB

Thanks

Wikus

i would second that.. or mayb the sugar..schweeet fish..mmm

From what I have seen in the pro's tanks, i wouldn't go for anything bigger than the beach sand for both applications, even finer if you can for a DSB. Just be careful where you collect it.

Yeah, the beach sand would be good.

But do not collect anywhere near a rivermouth. Take a swim out if you can brave the cold, and collect from about 6-8m down. That stuff should be clean and free from any algae fuel

But won't there be more critter life if I use the aragonite or the fine crushed coral? The sand is so compact when wet, I doubt the pods can hide there.

Will be lots of good bacteria, and eggs, microscopic life etc in there.

Ask dean where he got his sand, then stay about 100kms clear of it either side. You should be safe then.

Hehe, I'm one of those who would love to live underwater, so I have my openwater license, I'll jus scuba and get some at 30m with a liftbag than :p

What about the Aqua Medic aragonite? no-one would go for that?

AM aragonite without a shadow of doubt, if thats what your options are.

Mekaeel there are four storm water outlets at Umdloti. The one is just left of the traffic circle, which is where you propose collecting. I like dobermans idea tho. Eight metres should be about half way to the shark nets. Bio activity would certainly guarantee phosphate free media.

As an investment in your own mental health for a long time to come i would go north of the Umflozi. Even better...north of St Lucia.

Cybervic my feelings on beach sand may be emotionally grounded, but i strongly feel that anything in the tidal zone must be avoided.

Mekaeel the Bluff from Cracker to Treasure is one of the most interesting to dive on the entire coast. Big sandstone ledges...and caves so deep that powerul torches don't touch sides....Specimen diversity and quantity is massive...However the predominant current along our coast line is north too south...this means that all Durbans waste including the harbour... dump on Gawies.
imo Rather head north and seek your fortune.

Back
Top Bottom