starfish help

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by albert, 21 Nov 2012.

1. albert

albert

I just baught a red starfish, and on the way from the petshop, the red started to go off, and it went pink in some places, since it has been in my tank it stayed red in the places it was left, but the starfish is not moving, what should I do?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Zandy

Zandy

Hi there, how old is your tank? I have had an experience where i was sold a sand sifting starfish, and he did not do so well either. The reason why was there was not enough waste in my tank for it to get it's feeding from. So in fact he would have starved to death if i have not picked up on this. I then had to move him into my more mature (dirty so to speak tank). Just make sure you know what it's diet consist of or else the same might happen. I hope all goes well with yours.

4. Zandy

Zandy

Turn it around and see if you can see any of it's tenticals move. Like little suction cups.If they not moving then i would say there is reason for worry. If they are then perhaps just let him settle in and see if he will move in about 24 hrs

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

How did you acclimate the starfish?

6. albert

albert Thread Starter

I drip acclimated it

7. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Yes bud, i would have hoped so. ;) I am referring to the rate you acclimatised the starfish.

2 minutes? 30 minutes? 1 hour? 5 hours?

1/4 new water, 1/2 new water, equal new water, 4x new water?

8. albert

albert Thread Starter

1 hour, I added a bit of water every 2-3 minutes

9. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

OK Starfish are very susceptible to salinity changes. It affects their vascular system. The problems arise when the acclimation is not done correctly. When i say Acclimation in this instance i am referring to, from collection, through process to your purchase, to your DT.

The starfish could have been acclimated correctly through the process up until you purchased it or it may not have. The fact remains that a one hour acclimatisation with adding a bit of water every 2-3 minutes for an hour could have risen salinity from S=25 to S=35 in an hour of visa verse. This will kill the starfish.

If the starfish starts to go white and disintegrate there is nothing that can be done to save i am afraid. Keep an eye on it and remove from your DT to avoid pollutant your tank.

Recent Posts