Sps bleaching

Reaction score
What will cause this type of bleaching?
Even the polyps under the branch(?) is turning white...
Phosphates 0
Kh 7.8
calcium 420
Magnesium 1150 ( abit low)

Can it be to much light?
Light hours 10

Kh also a bit low... (Almost at min)
Please tell us what lighting you have, how long have you had the coral & what changes you made to the tank in the last few weeks...

a kH number of 7.8 is not bad as natural sea water hovers in the 7 range. I know of many reefers that have a kH of close to 7. @Adee comes to mind.

A few questions. How long have you had the coral, what type of lights do you have, and from what lights did they come from?
Is the coral bleaching from the bottom up or top down?
Did the bleaching occur rapidly or over a long period of time (this will tie in to how long you've had the coral)?
Did you have a major shift in kH or pH recently?
Any other corals that have the same problems?
Bleaching can be a complex problem.
I see your Mg is low, but this wont be a major factor in the bleaching.

Last edited by a moderator:
enough flow over sps coral?

Flow is a component of the problem. Maybe a secondary concern after eliminating all other possibilities.

He there
This a very common problem in the aquarium. I would go so far as to say the no. 1 killer of Sps in the captive care environment is tissue neurosis or bleaching . Here is what I have learnt - stability stability stability is the key to success with this species. That extends directly to water parameters lighting and flow the less this varies the more successful you will be
The biggest cause of bleaching in the wild is global warming water is getting too warm. The second is pollution in the form of nutrients nitrates and phosphates.
The same applies in a closed system. If the temperature varies by as much as 2 degrees over day and night this causes stability issues with the vitality of sps. If nutrients are continuous and on the rise this will threaten the stability. What ever u choose to make your parameters they key is to keep them same without any change.
Short term try and get everything right. Make sure there is good circulation and get the parameters stable
I have seen sps come back from almost being entirely bleached so don't panic.
If it is rapid tissue neurosis RTN well than you could try amputation and a good coral dip to save the remaining good bits
Good luck

Good advice in both of the earlier posts.

Whilst you diagnose to solve any potential longer term problem I intend to highlight a point already made.

A short answer in terms of what action to follow is to frag / amputate a couple of pieces from the main colony.

What botthers me is that the bleaching is from the growth points or the base.
Its on the polyps.
Was also thinking light but the polyps underneath that isnt getting direct light is also turning white.

I do have to tunze 6095's in the tank.

The temp might be the reason for the stres cause with this weather in cape town my temp is for 2 days on 27 degrees, sometimes its on 25 for a few days and and then it has been on 23.

So this might be the main source for the stress.

Have the corals for a month.
They are under LED's

Yeah, I keep my Alk around 7, when I'm not concentrating it often falls below that. As mentioned stability is the key. Suggest u frag and do water changes. Get your mg upto 1300. It helps with the sps to assimilate the calcium and alkalinity ions. Everyone keeping sps some point will go through what's happening to u. I've learnt over the years which sps types appear hardier, others are really finicky. As I've gone really lazy, I now keep mainly the types that have stood with me through all sorts of mishaps.

Back
Top Bottom