Red Sea Reefer Review - no after sales service

Reaction score
So i have been in two minds about posting this.
At this point i feel its only fair to do a review of my RSR 525 XL, the issues i have come across and the total lack of customer care from the local agents.
Having dropped over R100k on this equipment you'd expect some sort of back up.
the equipment bought:

RSR 525XL tank
Jump Net
RSR600 Skimmer
3x 160s RSR lights (top of the line)

Paid for a new RSR 525XL 11/05/2021.
Started tank 28/05/2021.
Bubble found inside the main glass and reported to shop and local ReaSea Distributer 04/06/2021. literally inside the glass.
i was told to be careful when cleaning the tank and to ensure my power heads where on a low setting to put the least amount of strain in the glass while they sort this out.
Rep finally sent to inspect tank 23/06/2021.
I am constantly having to chase to get any form of feedback.
The only feedback given was that they are negotiating with ReaSea International - Key word here NEGOTIATING. what is there to negotiate?
It is astonishing that this is not a cut and dry situation - this is an enormously expensive tank that has an obvious manufacturer defect right on the front viewing panel.
I have spend in excess of R100k Redsea products for this tank and this is the backup and support given? makes you think twice about buying Red Sea Products.

i eventually decided the best method to get this fixed was to contact RedSea International.
i got an instant response and within a week i had confirmation that the tank was going to be swapped out as the bubble poses a risk. i will be contacted by the local distributers.
that was last week.
I am still waiting for the local distributers to contact me, i have followed up twice.

its a pity such a great brand can be so poorly represented.

the most frustrating part is, this could be avoided if they only chose to communicate with their customers.

Last edited:
@Furbz - thanks for posting your experience.

I am running a 2021 Reefer 350 and have been lucky so far with no issues on the RS side of things
But, being aware of your frustrations, I will be weary if I have to, at some point, contact the local representatives.

I suggest you keep following-up with the international support team regularly.
Good luck with a quick replacement!!

Hi
If you have not already joined there FB group I would suggests that you do and post your experience there.

Hi
If you have not already joined there FB group I would suggests that you do and post your experience there.
Odds are they'll delete it. There's a whole thread on reef2reef of the mods on facebook deleting posts when someone has an issue

I had a 525xl burst a seam a while back . Was unlucky as it was out of warranty. Fixed it up using a local tank builder and still runs well.

Wanted to buy a RSR 1000s with Reefled 160s on it but the local distributor indicated to my LFS because of the conflict in Isreal it will only be available end of year to early next year and said that they had a 900xxl with Reefled 90s on that I can get now at a good price , knowing how this hobby work I will get it and always long for a 1000s

I got the feeling that they were trying to punn their current stock off to me and just left it there .

Question is how come does the rest of the world get RSR 1000s and 800s delivered but not SA ?

Literally begging RS to take my money here ...

I had a 525xl burst a seam a while back . Was unlucky as it was out of warranty. Fixed it up using a local tank builder and still runs well.

Wanted to buy a RSR 1000s with Reefled 160s on it but the local distributor indicated to my LFS because of the conflict in Isreal it will only be available end of year to early next year and said that they had a 900xxl with Reefled 90s on that I can get now at a good price , knowing how this hobby work I will get it and always long for a 1000s

I got the feeling that they were trying to punn their current stock off to me and just left it there .

Question is how come does the rest of the world get RSR 1000s and 800s delivered but not SA ?

Literally begging RS to take my money here ...

i think quite simply put Red Sea is South Africa is poorly managed.

Hi Furbz, sorry to hear of your bad experience!! I also own a RS from new. Shortly after taking ownership I notice a small but significant piece of silicone missing on one of the seams! Furthermore, my filter socks are very difficult to put in and out (all original socks)! I need to use a lot of force which is going to end up braking the cradle! I also initiated a query to get answers but still waiting. Apparently the RS rep stays in Durban and do not traveling often to Jhb. This does not vote well for such a premium brand, especially with such a premium price tag!! I can get the contact details of one of the owners of the local Red Sea distributer, maybe we need to phone him directly? This is not acceptable and a point people need to be made aware of before spending big bucks a premium products. Unfortunately the SA market is probable only accounting for a very small part of total global Red Sea sales. However, this is still not acceptable and putting pressure on them as a group is all that might help!! Good luck and keep us posted!

So an amendment to this post.
i was contacted today by Michael at WCB. we had a productive chat with level heads and it appears this is a comedy of errors.
Big thanks to Michael for taking the time to call and chat things through in an amenable manner.

I would like to apologies and set the record straight. WCB is not responsible for Red Sea Products they are the wing that handles livestock - hardware falls under Koipetco.
my sincerest apology for this error.

it is my understanding that Koipetco was impacted by Covid and hence why my multiple attempts to contact people went unnoticed.

i do not believe this excuses the previous phone call i received. so we can chalk that up to a knee jerk reaction.

the next issue is i was incorrectly informed that the warranty process should go through the distributer. apparently this is incorrect and the process should have been through the retail store that sold me the tank. i was also never corrected by koipetco so how could i know better.
hopefully this thread will make sure this error does not happen again to others.

i do still feel that simple communication would mean that this thread would never have existed. when i started this thread i felt i had run out of options as normal channels of communication had failed.
i do now feel after chatting with Michael that things have been righted.

My replacement tank arrives Wednesday next week.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom