Please check my Breeding array plan

but these are little fry Dallas, not a DT? i dont follow now?

they like roti's so i drip roti's in the fry tank all day, then clean and replace water from DT etc etc and let my filters clean the water
so far it works

Has anyone thought of using those Jo-Jo 800L plastic tanks (They actually call them fish breeding tanks) for fry nurseries?
They are 80cm high by 1M diameter.
They can be cut down to 70cm and are already dark on the outer rim for the fry's...
They cost R650.

Has anyone thought of using those Jo-Jo 800L plastic tanks (They actually call them fish breeding tanks) for fry nurseries?
They are 80cm high by 1M diameter.
They can be cut down to 70cm and are already dark on the outer rim for the fry's...
They cost R650.

you are going to have a huge huge huge supply of rots and phyto to sustain that, but def possilbe dude

Yea i thought so.
In my research, it just seems as if breeding works best in large volumes of water (500 - 1000L) and i thought it would be best if i can rather than removing the eggs, remove the parents after they laid the eggs.
That then also gives the fry's a nice big tank.
Eish.
The options...

I have a question.......
We always remove the eggs from the breeding tanks because the pumps and flow mess them up. Not nessesarily because the parents eat the eggs or fry's..
(Yea ok not in all cases)
But if we have a massive tank, and the parents stay with the fry's... and the outlets are protected by superfine mesh with a buffered vacume, why should we not be able to keep the parents with the fry's and only increase flow when the fry's are bigger?

Here is a nice flat tank config used for cattle water:

[FONT=&quot]PRODUCT[/FONT][FONT=&quot] : CATTLE TROUGH[/FONT]

SPECIFICATIONS

[FONT=&quot]250-Liter[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]HEIGHT : 550 mm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]WIDTH : 800 mm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]LENGTH : 1 300 mm[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Price : R630.00

And a bigger version:
[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]PRODUCT[/FONT][FONT=&quot] : CATTLE TROUGH[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] (Ball-valve not included)[/FONT]

SPECIFICATIONS

[FONT=&quot]500-Liter[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]HEIGHT : 700 mm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]WIDTH : 990 mm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]LENGTH : 1 700 mm[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Price : R1 182.00 [/FONT]

Photos of the Jo-Jo tanks:
23834ae0106f69a33.jpg

FDB, have you seen MOFIB - Marine Ornamental Fish & Invertebrate Breeders - Marine Fish Breeding / Saltwater Fish Breeding / Marine Invertebrate Breeding

Are your U tubes between the tanks siphons? You might be better off with standpipes.

I'd avoid those cattle troughs. Too many corners for detritus to hide. Rather go for round ones.

What kind of skimmer are you going to run? Clownfish grow out will generate an awful lot of waste. I wouldn't bother with mud systems. Rather use big trickle filters and sponge filters. Concentrate on aerobic bacteria for nitrification.

Here are a few books I recommend:

Amazon.com: Conditioning, Spawning and Rearing of Fish With Emphasis on Marine Clownfish (9780966296013): Frank H. Hoff: Books

Amazon.com: The Complete Illustrated Breeder's Guide to Marine Aquarium Fishes (9781890087715): Matthew L. Wittenrich, Alf Jacob Nilsen, Scott W. Michael, Martin A. Moe: Books

Amazon.com: Clownfishes (9781890087043): Joyce D. Wilkerson: Books

If you're going to get only one book, I suggest Witt's.

Good luck!

@Robdvd you might want to post a PIC of Marcella's breading setup. Or a link to it. It will give an idea of what size is needed to bread a few thousand clowns.

IMO start small and progress towards larger volumes. Breeding is a lot of work and dedication.

Thanx guys.
My design keep changing as i learn more and more.
Robvdv, the link is not working.

It's vary rare that you get to see a Breeding farm and hatchery setup for multi breeds...
:-(

Not as easy as it looks, but don't give up just do proper research, every body need to start at the bottom and the big advantage is we have INTERNET.

Back
Top Bottom