Newbie Edenvale

Reaction score
Hi All inherited a mature magnificent 4 foot tank with sump. Run my UV light in the sump. Skimmer in the sump. Running an external filtration as well. Have 9 fish, clowns, clown wrasse, picasso trigger, emperor angel, gobie. No live rock no coral. Running a Maxspect Gyro. Changing 20l of water every two weeks. Getting a bit greyish algae in the sump and on the dead rocks. Any advice welcome

Hi @Carpet King :).

welcometomasa

Can you tell us a bit more about this rock and how long has it been in the tank etc?

Cheers.

Hi All thanks. As I said I inherited the tank. Don't really know what type of rock it is but will take pics and post tonight

So I have just heard that it is live rock and I am not adding any nutrients at all and maybe I dont have the right lighting. Will take pics tonight

OK thanks for confirming that its live rock which means that while asuming you moved the tank from its previous home to its new home you made sure that the rock stayed wet? If so that good and you can expect a bit of a nitrogen cycle to occur in the tank, but not as big as if the rock dried out completely.

Okay guys here is a picture of my reef. You can see the hair
IMG-20180517-WA0000.jpg
like growth and also on the back wall. Again 4foot tank with sump, running UV light within the sump, salinity 1023, phosphate good, nitrate good. 9 occupants plus 1 x carpet. Temperature 23 Deg C. Feed 1 teaspoon brine shrimp twice / day. LED lights in the hood. Clean protein skimmer every day. Any help appreciated.

"phosphate good, nitrate good"

Values ?

More info about your filteration, ar you dosing anything ?

Had phosphate and nitrate checked by shop all good. have external filter canister with fibre sheets. running a sump from gravity fed from main tank with like space age balls in the downdrop then ceramic beads, then a layer of sand then over under to my power head returning through UV to top of main tank. Flow also good with a Maxspect.

I have read and absorbed the article by @dallasg what I would like to know please in my 1. Fish Only setup is do a do mechanical filtration before it goes into the biological section of my sump or after.

Yes mechanical always first, you want to pass the cleanest water to your biological filter

Thanks Dallas I am getting the hang of it now. Attached please see my current sump setup. Appreciate your comments

Attachments

• SKM_C25818052309540.pdf
    43.6 KB · Views: 97
Back
Top Bottom